Steel Targets, chain v conveyer belt?

Anyone notice a target report / acoustics difference between chain, hose, or belt?

I've found the target hanging off a hook gives the best report.

What's everyone using to hang steel targets?

I was using chain but got tire of replacing it. Switched to conveyer belt but now the targets don't swing near as much when you hit them.

Guess I need 25 magneto speed target hit indicators
Switching most all to T-post with hanger and center keyhole... eventually you may break the tpost but it takes a lot of shooters and rounds to get there

Attachments

• 759B3C49-F072-48AA-9BD9-6D8D3895CBCA.jpeg
    759B3C49-F072-48AA-9BD9-6D8D3895CBCA.jpeg
    105.2 KB · Views: 121
T posts are a no go. Must be portable to take down for crops

My conveyer belt is a little heavier than most I guess. Need to get my range buddy to stop hanging targets with Home Depot chain

C36179A4-CC47-4831-87B2-31D7E81358B6.jpeg

Good chain like grade 100 1/2" seems to hold up. Cheap stuff doesnt. I've also had good luck with conveyor belt. If anyone needs some I have a good source in northern minnesota.

I weld the bolt heads on the back of the plate. Yeah you get some localized loss of hardness but it hasn't been a big issue, no worse than torch or plasma cut bolt holes.

I use a piece of belt bolted to the plate at the top. It gives a good indication of where I have hit due to the spin or swing of the plate. Belt outlasts the bolts that attach belt to plate.

I opt out on the T post idea since I shoot on public land and don't want random T posts strewn across the land and don't want to pull them. Made myself an adjustable H-base for 2x4 sides and top rail which are nice and light, easy to set up, and cheap to replace. I too use 1 strap on a center hole in the plate to see the twist if any to help call shots. My 16" plate has holes at corners though.

Last edited:
I manage a range with a lot of swinging steel. All hung on hard chain used to tie loads down. Bolts are three inches long with lock nuts. Do not tighten to steel. Just tighten nut enough to hold. This gives your plate a bit of angle backwards.
Other than the occasional bolt head getting shot off everything has been good for tens of thousands of shots.
All steel hangs at least 18 inches from crossbar.
The only problem is someone using a 338 or such at 50 yards. The idiots usually manage to hole it.

Rebar.

Prototype stand for PRS gongs, still untested. The idea looks like it will hold up.

1. eliminate chains, bolts and belts
2. be compact
3. easy to deploy and quick to undeploy
4. easy to fix

No welds to break, field repair with spanners and ready made spares.

One center pin holding it up.

Feet are 1.1 meters apart deployed, gong in picture is 40cm, stand can take 50cm gong. Rebar in the picture is 8mm diameter.

folded.jpg

center-pin.jpg

hook.jpg

standing.jpg

I use cheap, lightweight chain that is easily replaced. D-links to suspend from eye bolts in a 2x4. All cheap to replace and quick/easy to mend in the field if necessary. Targets are steel plates with "bears ears" attachment points.

I've used it all, Conveyer Belt and old 3" Irrigation hose will last the longest but I would have to agree with the lack of movement and sound that you get from it. Old 5/8" skidder chain I think would be the best but where do you find it at. I'm a farmer and the belt, Irr. hose, are plentiful for me.

I use whatever I can, but I like the sound of steel hung on chain. Couple of ranges around here have hanging steel. One uses rubber, the other has 1-2" steel rods welded to the back of the plate with a u shaped bend at the top to hang on the support rail. Dingbats shoot the straps off and shoot the support rails. Not trying (at least i dont think they are). Most have no business shooting beyond 200 yds even from a bench. To bad. It costs the ranges alot to maintain them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.