Steel Target Q & A

mtp29464

I'm fairly new to long range shooting, and I have some questions about the steel targets I see guys on Youtube shooting at.

1. I see the AR 500 steel is commonly used. Can I shoot 223 and 308 ammo at 300+ yards at 3/8" thick AR 500 plates, or do I need the 1/2" or thicker?

2. Who has the best deal / value on steel targets?

3. Is there a comparable grade of steel I can go to the local steel provider and purchase a scrap piece and make my own targets?

4. What is the best size plate to use from 500 to 1000 yards?

Thanks for helping.

I shoot 1/2 inch with guns up to 338 Norma , 3/8 will work fine as long as you keep it a few hundred yards or further. I believe there are some target makers that have offered deals on this site. I buy locally and usually just get squares of 12x12 up to 16x16. They work fine for me. Size is up to you, but the 12x12 works for me at 1000.

I shoot 3/8" AR500 steel. 12x12, 8x8, and 12x18. I have shot them from 300 yards to 1770. The only time I BARELY dented one was at 400 yards with my .300RUM and 215 Hybrids. .25-06 Ackley, 6.5 SLR, .223, .22-150, .270 Win, no issues.

I've picked up about a dozen targets off of Amazon. Prices are good and you can get free shipping. Mine have held up very well against .223 and .308.

All I have is 3/8 AR-500 steel. At 500 yards with 338 Laupa IMP AND 300 gr Otms starting at 3025 fps , it leaves a small,=but barely felt pitted place. Nothing that a lttle grinder want take care off! I think speed kills steel targets as much as anything. On my 200 yard Ar-15 and pistol steel course I have 10, 12, and 14 inch plates that are 3/8s AR-500 steel that have been shot as close as 50 yards, they have major pitting. Even have one that some dumb *** friend shot with SS109! It made a 1/16 off an inch crader, but could be ground down. I angle all my pistol and Ar-15 targets to the ground. Every so often I take a day to take them all off ther hooks and grind them down.gun)

Working for a steel processor has it's advantages, I can get plate steel any thickness up to 0.750 for asking, it comes out of a scrap rolloff. I bugger it up and return it to the scrap can and get more. It's all high strength drawing quality material and I angle my targets down as well to deflect any richochet to the ground.

I have a backstop made from 2 sheets 5x8 3/8" thick stood vertically with 5 feet of clay fill in front of them retained by a railroad tie wall. Between the clay and the steel, nothing gets through...

I hang my targets and my steel on steel frames with chains so when they do get shot up, replacement is easy. 250 yard range btw.

I do a lot of banging out there.... So do all my associates.

My solution? I am going to build a 7-08. I want a 22-24" tube, 1-9 twist (for heavier bullets) with a heavy contour. Similar to the sendero contour on my swift. From my reading, 7-08 still shines with the shorter barrel. I know I can get 2800 fps with 150ish grain bullets. I like the ballistics table, and with 7mm I have plenty of options to take game as large as elk, to 300 yards.

My solution? I am going to build a 7-08. I want a 22-24" tube, 1-9 twist (for heavier bullets) with a heavy contour. Similar to the sendero contour on my swift. From my reading, 7-08 still shines with the shorter barrel. I know I can get 2800 fps with 150ish grain bullets. I like the ballistics table, and with 7mm I have plenty of options to take game as large as elk, to 300 yards.

steel buildings

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.