Steel Target Gongs.

AR-500 is going to be your best bet. It is WAY harder than mild steel, which will make is much easier to transport (cause it doesn't have to be as thick) & it takes a LOT more abuse. AR-500 will cause bullets to splash rather than indent (most of the time). Mild steel is usually cheaper but requires much thicker material to withstand impacts. IIRC a member here sells AR-500 targets, I still use the ol' standby run 'o' the mill oilfield blind flanges. They can be had pretty cheap so they are somewhat disposable + I have access to a couple hundred thousand dollars worth of welding eqipment right outside my office:D so repair is pretty easy! lol On the negative side, these pigs are VERY HEAVY (for a target), got to be getting up there close to 100lbs. Here is a pic of one of my targets @ 550yds, getting worked over by my 6-284:

Attachments

• 550 Yds 6-26-11.jpg
    550 Yds 6-26-11.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 70
Last one i bought is a steel disc off of a disc for discing fields like farmers use got it at a local implement dealer for $10 its 18" but they had like 4 different sizes to choose from then drilled a hole and bolted it to a couple chains and works great

search the internet for steel target, I think bobcatsteel is a pretty cheap place, also look on snipershide under group buy, thats where I have gotten mine.

I got a used disc from a farmer that wasn't using it anymore ($0). Welded chain on it myself and hung it from chains in a frame that I built from scrap treated 4x4's. I've shot it from 550 to 900 yards with everything from 223, 264 win mag, 7mm rem mag, 300 wsm......etc. etc. It holds up awesome, and I put clips on the chain links so I can unhook and put it in the polaris if I need to take it down. My range is on my own property, so I just leave it set up and take a can of paint with me - when I'm done shooting, I hit it with a coat of paint for next time. Once in a while a cow uses it to rub on, but it seems to be holding up well so far.

A blind flange would also work well with holes already in it to hang chain from (if you don't have access to a welder).

I have been shooting 3/8 plate of AR400...its a little cheaper that AR500 and the 3/8 saves weight. My 30-378 will put a nice ding in them at 400 yds but anything furthur and they hardly leave a scratch. My smaller guns dont even nick them.....plus you can get it at most metal dealers.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.