Steel Shootin' Setup Ideas?

Jeffpg

Hey all you fellow hunters and shooters, I'm gettin' ready to reconstruct my steel target layout and am looking for construction ideas to kick around.
I have a bench on the back deck of my house that I can go out to 300 yards from, and I want to set up 3 different hangers. One at 100, 200 and 300 yards, maybe even one at 250. I'm thinkin' of fabricating a steep pipe hanger to suspend a few different sized plates from at each distance. The 100 yarder will be used for rimfires and bigbore handguns, mostly. These can be permanently put in place, but I would also like to fab a portable dinger for the longer range stuff I do (out to 800 yds) on property a couple miles from my home.

I have all the metal fabrication tools needed and look forward to finally taking the time to build the targets that I have been wanting. I'm also thinking of cutting out life sized deer and elk silhouettes, or at least appropriate sized plates, for fine tuning open sighted muzzleloaders.
I'm thinkin' a bunch of you guys have sweet target setups that you're proud of and would like to share pics, drawings or plans of. I look forward to seein' 'em! Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff,
I only have two backstops set up for the time being. One is 100yds and the other is 500yds.
Here is a pic of the 500yd setup;

IMG_0134.jpg

I do a lot of my load development at 100yds and it looks just like the 500yd backstop (no gong) but I have 1/4" steel lagged to the back of the railroad ties. That, plus a piece of plywood in front, helps to keep it firm and locked together. They last a pretty good while but will eventually get shot out if you don't shuffle the target around.

My gong is set up on landscape timbers (< $5.00 ea.) buried 2 ft. deep. I'm not sure what this metal is from but I found it here on the property when I moved here. I welded two pieces of chain and hung it on hooks. I had to weld a couple of metal plates to stop the bullets. The .300WinMag (180gn) and 6.5-284 (120gn) were zipping through it like a drill press. That was Ballistic Tips too.
Hope this gives you some ideas. JohnnyK.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.