steel plate targets

ATH

Sorry for the double-post but I decided this belonged better here...

What are the specifications/sources for plate steel that will stop a 300 WM class round 100 yds and further?

That really depends on the bullet being used. I just saw a 500 Brinnel plate that stopped 140gr. Ballistic Tips from a 7mm Rem Mag at 100 yards without any marks get drilled clean by a 180 Trophy Bonded from a .300 Win mag.

I do not like to shoot steel closer than 3-400 yards. Longer the distance the longer your steel will last.

Check out www.lvsteeltargets.com for some excellent targets that take a lot of abuse.

[ QUOTE ]
Sorry for the double-post but I decided this belonged better here...

[/ QUOTE ]

You can use the edit function to delete the other post

The link that Ian gave is a good place to buy some realy neat pre made targets for a reasonable price.They are made of a very tough steel(AR-500 I believe) and hold up very well.If you are going to mak steel targets out of mild steel I recomend at least 1" thick inorder to not shoot a hole through them too quickly.

I agree with Ian, my buddy was shooting steel targets at a 100 yrds with a 30-06 a piece of the bullet came back hit him the leg, he had to get surgery to remove the some of the bullet. I wouldn't have believed that could happen, but he's got a scare on his leg for proof. He doesnt nor do I shoot any steel target less than 300 yrds.

If you want to shoot steel at 100 yards, just tilt the steel at a downward angle of a couple degrees. It will deflect the bullets down and save your steel too. At 200m, I was having my 300 RSAUM put holes in the steel at my shooting range with 150 gr NABs when it stood perpendicular to the groud; however, the steel is now tilted at about 15 degrees. Last trip out with my 300 WM, .243 and 300 RSAUM, only grey marks and only slight dimples with the 300 WM shooting 190 gr VLDs and SMKs. I was shooting 88 and 90 gr Bergers in the 243, and they leave about a 1.5" grey mark. I could not even find pieces of the jacket around the steel. The 190s would leave buttons from the base of the bullet, and one still had a petal left attached. When then steel is verticle, all three round put holes through the steel.

We use 8" armour steel disks which are suspended from a steel frame, using a 12" piece of conveyor belt, about 3" wide between frame and disk. When a bullet (from .243 to 300 win) strikes them they "give way" , dissipating the energy and schrapnel is deflected . If a range requires one at close range (say 150 yds) the frame is rotated slightly to one side to prevent impact which is perpendicular to the face of the plate, which causes the most damage.

The intended purpose at 100 yds is as an angled bullet deflector to ground the rounds, not as a perpendicular target as I'm well aware of that danger (but thanks for the warnings).

Target Link

I have 2 of the unit smade by these folks--both are armor plated around the frames so stray bullets do not tear them up---worth every dime we have 1 at 600 and 1 at 1200---lot of fun!!

339625.JPG

The closest I have shot this one is 250y. 30-06,270 win, 243, 7mm RUM just deflect into the dirt with very little steel damage. 3\4" mild steel. 400+y no damage too the steel.

I'm cheap. years ago they tore out a bunch of a local rail road tracks. I went down and picked up a lifetime supply of the plates that hold the tracks to the rail road ties. quality steel with a nice ring for swinging targets.

For your needs I would buy 1/2 plate and make a deflection box filled with wet sand for a bullet trap

Boss Hoss, I recently had a chance to shoot on a bunch of targets from that supplier, they worked great. The animal targets are realistic, you can even get the deer with a swing-away lung area, returns after the hit. Same for the heart. Clever and well made. We painted over the life-like colors, made them albinos so we could see the hits.
The hanging 10" plates were very good targets, easy to setup and stoodup to an amazing amount of punishment. Keep them out 3-400 yards and longer and they will last forever.

Ian---VERY good people to work with as the 1200 yard target I ordered is just the basic round rod frame holding the target. For a very nominal charge he put a thin plate of armor around the rod to protect it! Not nearly as big (frame and armor) as the target we use at 600 but I love the product and I am about as pickey as they come on this kind of stuff!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts