Steel plate target sources

ATH

I know steel plates are popular targets of some here. What are the specifications for a plate that will stop at least a 300 WM at 100 yds, and where would I obtain such material? Would a normal metal shop have it?

ATH,
you need 3/8" steel that is certified AR500 or hardox500
1/2" will work also but you need a forklift to get it out of your truck. make sure it is suspended and dont use fmj's or depleated uranium projectiles and it should last forever.
UB

ATH
Most people DON'T shoot at steel at 100 yds!!
That could be very dangerous with high power guns!!

The main reason to plink steel plate is to hear the hit from a distance you could not see the bullet hole in paper.
Also see the splat on steel not a small hole in the paper.

when you stretch out for distance the steel plate is a lot more fun with instant resaults.

GOOD LUCK
CAM

I have been building steel targets for my own use for years. With a 300 wm I would not recomend shooting steel at 100 yards. I would say 200 yards at least. The thing is even when you use hardened plate in time it may crack or break when hit with a heavy caliber. I have a steel ram 5/16" plate that I have welded back together several times. I shoot a 300 wm and 308 mostly and have found that if you are shooting a mugnum you need 1/2" plate if you want it to last.

In addition to using as an actual target at intended ranges, the 100 yd comment had a little different connotation. I was thinking of angling a plage behind the target to force the bullets down into soft dirt. I can't push a berm up with the crops on and despite the long, long distance from anything I've decided it isn't safe to shoot at my usual location any longer without a way of making sure the bullets stop at the target.

Is an SMK considered FMJ for these purposes? From recent experience (which brought this question about) it is quite obvious they hold shape and ricochet worse than core-lokts or accubonds.

Yea SMK bullets have a very heavy jacket and will give your steel targets a hard time. I have seen SMK bullets cut right through s steel target whera a a-max or berger will just splatter.

I can only speak for 30 cal match king bullets. I have used them for hunting white tail and coyotes. On deer they just poke a hole especialy at long range. They are a good bullet to take out shoulder blades. The 190 SMK make a great coyote bullet, two years ago during deer seoson I shot I belive 18 coyotes and only wrecked two. And the steel targets take a beating. I have a steel ram that is half worn out and at 750 yards the SMK will poke a hole and a amax will slatter. A 200gr accubond will also penatrate this target.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.