Steel plate sizes

I bought a 20x20" for 1000 yds plus. Seems big but I always seem to be with newer long distance shooters. It's nice to see the hit and help them adjust to center.

An example was last year when my youngest came out to shoot. He has talent but doesn't shoot enough. There are permanent 20" targets at 500, 800, and 1140 yds where we go. I had him go prone with my gun at 500 and his first shot was 8" right. Had him send another and it was within an inch of the first???? I told him to try again with wrapping his thumb and the next shot hit the 2" white bull. Being able to see the first two helped with fine tuning.

I have 12" x 12" plates to 750 yards and then a 30" x 20" at 1000 yards. I paint a 3" dot on the plates for point of reference. Works out great. For me it represents the kill area of an elk which it what I hunt most of the time. If I can put all my rounds in the plate from sitting, standing off sticks and from the prone position it makes my day. Paint the steel with a bright color like white or orange and it make the hits very easy to see.
Excellent

One tip, freshly painted steel is always your friend. And paint color really depends on range direction, if you shoot into the sun, lime green is great, if the sun is behind you, white always works, light tan is great in heavy snow.
I have shot steel for so long hanging from belt, in the form of squares and diamonds, I know from the plates reaction where the hit was on the plate, but it takes some time to know.

as big as you can. way easyer to hit then. 10 sqware meter plate would be rather easy imo. dont go setting up small plates and make your self stressed by missing your shots mate. just go set up huge targets and have no worries shootin them :)
I use the standard rectangular ones that have the nub at the top. (Not sure of the size, maybe 14"x18+" ?)
I alternate layers of paint between blaze orange and white. That makes it easier to see where you hit each day. Just my personal favorite.

What size plates at what ranges? Gonna setup 200 yard out to 900yd maybe push 1000 if I clear some trees on the farm? Wondering what you guys use ? Thanks
We have at least 2 targets every 100 yards out to 600, then skip to the neighbors property to 1200.

At each range We have a 3-4 MOA target to get dialed in & establish dope, and a 1 MOA target for skills testing.

At 200 & 300 we also have paper target setup for load
8F443F79-2811-462B-81F6-98D95F39FC8D.jpeg
7B84E041-1D8F-45BF-AD48-D065BC2E30F9.jpeg

What size plates at what ranges? Gonna setup 200 yard out to 900yd maybe push 1000 if I clear some trees on the farm? Wondering what you guys use ? Thanks
908E04F8-1D75-407A-8F88-513EABB01EAD.jpeg

Sorry, my last post is from a hunting perspective!
I forgot how much fun it can be to just shoot at plates at long rang!
But, don't dismiss that shooting at shorter distances with tighter groups can be fun as well. It's definitely another challenge !

One thing I definitely learned while practicing at longer ranges is how important wind is. We are shooting custom 260 rem at at 770 yards a 5 mph change in wind is enough to take us off the 8" gong. For those guys that can get 1st round hits at 1000+ yards my hat is off to you. That takes a ton of practice and talent.

Was looking for something a 50BMG wouldn't blow through.
I'd put money on saying a 50BMG wont blow through 3/8" AR 400 at 300 yards, nevertheless AR 500. You'll make yourself a giant soup bowl but it wont have holes it. If you have the coin to shoot 50 BMG, you have the money to buy 1/2"AR 500 targets. Sheer weight of your bullet damages steel, but not fast enough to poke holes. If the bullet is disintegrating on impact, less of an issue.

If you are on a farm...
I use a piece of ar500 24" x 48" hanging from an old pipe swing set frame. Pick up and move the whole thing with a tractor front end loader with quick detach pallet forks. Paint smaller diamonds or aiming points as mentioned above. We have a lot of flat ground that is hard to spot misses in the grass
Then smaller targets as appropriate to your needs as you get better.
Call around on ar500 plate. Sometimes a metal shop will cut you a deal if he can come out and plink a few times. Tell them what you are trying to accomplish and you may be surprised.

I put up what ever I can find from friends and at the local recyclers. right now I have 10"@300 14"@400 16"@500 all round then at 800 I have 20x20" square @ 1000 36" round then at 1500 I have another 20x20. I'm blessed to have an open space and private land to leave all my shooting stuff up year around!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.