Steel plate sizes

I use 2 plates at every 100 yard distance starting at 300 out to 1000. 1 plate is MOA for that distance and the other is double MOA. So 1-3"&1-6" at 300 and so forth until 1-10"&1-20" @1000.

If you are on a farm...
I use a piece of ar500 24" x 48" hanging from an old pipe swing set frame. Pick up and move the whole thing with a tractor front end loader with quick detach pallet forks. Paint smaller diamonds or aiming points as mentioned above. We have a lot of flat ground that is hard to spot misses in the grass
Then smaller targets as appropriate to your needs as you get better.
Call around on ar500 plate. Sometimes a metal shop will cut you a deal if he can come out and plink a few times. Tell them what you are trying to accomplish and you may be surprised.
Good advice. My son works for a metal fabrication company and snagged me a piece of ar500 steel from the scrap pile.

Being able to see the miss at long range is really helpful. 18" is plenty big for 1000 yards.
I have a 12" and a 6" set up at 600yds, both on the same rack. Really nice when you want to challenge yourself for make a 6" cold bore shot in a variety of conditions

While I was a 1,000 Yard competitor; this was our range's gong setup.
200 to 400 yard markers 6" & 8" gongs,
500 to 700 12" gongs,
800 and 900 yard 18" gongs.
1K to 1,500 yards 24", 30", 36" gongs.
(the paper target stands were all B-27 (100 to 1,000 for tactical comp) and 3'X4' slow fire rifle targets 600 yards out to 1,000 yards)
I hope this gives you some ideas.

What size plates at what ranges? Gonna setup 200 yard out to 900yd maybe push 1000 if I clear some trees on the farm? Wondering what you guys use ? Thanks
Depends upon your skill level and intent. If you're a novice banging larger plates can be rewarding and build confidence but does nothing to develop skill and lethality. If all you want is to hear "dings" go big, have fun, waste ammo, burn up your barrel. However if your intent is to harvest game or for defense, then plates the dimensions of your intended target are essential for development of the skills required to engage them regardless of range. Remember the goal is not to only be able to hit "somewhere" on your target but to expertly place your round on the target to ensure an ethical, humane and immediate kill. Whatever your intent and skill level, use the plate size that will allow you to meet your goals. Happy shooting!

DocB

Sorry, my last post is from a hunting perspective!
I forgot how much fun it can be to just shoot at plates at long rang!
But, don't dismiss that shooting at shorter distances with tighter groups can be fun as well. It's definitely another challenge !
Well said, I hadn't shot under 200 yards that when I did I actually missed, made first shot hit at a stick of dynamite at 200 300 and 400. Kinda of shameful to miss the 100.

I think as a rough guide, the generally accepted norm for plate sizes is 4 moa, with a 1 moa bullseye. So for 200 yards, an 8 inch plate with a 2 inch bullseye might be ideal but would also suffice out to 400 yards maybe, depending on your marksmanship skills. For 1000 yards I would be looking at something around 36 inch mark.

Oil and gas industry has some 36" plates and some smaller , I forget the diameter. They are used as a blank for pipes. A friend of ours used these for his range out to 1,200 yds. You definitely hear the hit and short of a .50 at 100 yds., wont ever blow through them. Smaller chambers out past 400 sometimes dont move the plate. The right mounting could solve that.
Try auctions where there are toolpushers and roustabouts.
That's what I use: 10"to 15" flanges 500 -> 1,000. 100 ->500: 4" flange. Junk yard stuff! Great targets

I like... 9"x5" 36"x 18" and 72"x18" at pretty much all distances, color...whatever I can find or have, it's all about the wind with me.

I use old disk blades that are 20" from 800 yards out to 1385 on my range. I add smaller ones at the same range to challenge myself but hitting something while your trying to get your dope can save a lot of ammo.

1.5 moa plate is nice past 500 yards, just big enough for off days. At 500 and closer, misses can be harder to interpret, and 1.5 and 1 moa can really be an ammo wasters.
I personally like a KYL setup at all ranges, pick your poison, if not attainable, shoot a bigger one to get your bearing. It boils down to, we are all good in no wind.
KYL???

Know your limits. Lol
In PRS style comps it's a stage, big to small plates. Keep going and miss, lose all points, or tap out after a couple hits and quit. I just used it as a reference for varying plate sizes.
kyl.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.