Steel casings

LongRangeJunkie

I purchased a used rifle in 7mm WSM, but have not shot it yet since I immediately sent if off to be rebarreled. Since I have been unable to find 7mm WSM brass to reload my shooting off once I get it back, I purchased some rounds from a local store but it turned out they have steel casing. I have never reloaded any or even know if that is possible. Can anyone give me info/recommendations?

Thanks

Steel-cased WSM brass? I've never even heard of it... I thought they only used steel casings for cheap NATO approved calibers (.223, 5.56, 7.62x39, etc...), and cheap pistol cases...

What makes you think they are steel?? Does a magnet stick to them?? They might be Nickle plated, but as M R 2005 stated, I never heard of the 7WSM being made in steel.
If they are in fact steel, don't try to reload them, you will probably ruin your dies. Try to see if a magnet will stick to them, and reply what happened. Also, look inside the case and see if there are two smaller flash holes, or just one .

Steel doesn't have the same elasticity as brass, so it is basically a one off and recycle when used as a casing. That said, we have successfully reloaded low pressure 45acp ammo using boxer primed steel casings for one pass. In a high pressure caliber, I suspect you will either damage your dies or suffer an occasional case rupture.

I'm with the others though suspecting nickel plated brass.... If you are really in doubt, section one with a dremmel tool... If you see brass after the plating (likely has plating on the inside of the case too so look for brass in the sandwich), use them with care. If they are silver all the way through (and toss a lot of sparks when you section the case) toss them in file 13 as they are of zero use to you.

They probably are just nickle plated. I am showing my ignorance here, but I am learning. I just know they are silver. I have seen these before in pistol rounds, but never had any in rifle. I have not shot them yet since I am still waiting on the return of my rifle from being rebarreled.

So, I am going to assume until then that they are just nickle plated. Should I do anything different when I attempt to reload (that is after I check the inside of cut one)?

Ya if they are silver they are Nickle plated. I personally haven't had any problems reloading as the same as non plated brass. Steel generally are dark in color and have some kind of lacquer on them or I've seen some that are like like a copper color

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts