steam cleaning a barrel

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by thequickad, Jun 24, 2003.

1. thequickad

thequickad Well-Known Member

Can you use pressurized steam to clean the barrel after a shooting session? It seems to be possible and also avoid all the harsh chemicals? What is dry steam (as opposed to wet steam?) [​IMG]

2. Mysticplayer

Mysticplayer Writers Guild

My quick answer would be that steam cleaning will not be effective. Reason is simply that copper does not dissolve in hot water. You may be able to remove the carbon by steam pressure but anything that has "plated" on to the bore will still be there.

There is a reason we use such harsh chemicals like concentrated ammonia - it works.

Good luck with your testing.

Jerry

3. Dan McCarty

Dan McCarty Member

This takes me back years to USMC boot camp at PI, SC. The DI told all of us one night while on mess duty to get our M1s and report to the area where the steam cleaner was located. All the metal parts were steamed good. This was to stop them from rusting. Seemed to me that all this procedure did was increased the rust problem. However, under the conditions, I was not about to tell that DI that he was ... My $.02.

4. littletoes

littletoes Well-Known Member

Steam will cut steal under the right conditions. You can even add chemicals that will eat copper. The problem is...THIS IS A LOT OF WORK! First, ya got to make steam, and ENOUGH steam. Then you have to clean the water out. Imagine if you were using moly bullets. Mixed with a little water....(leftover from the steam)