States where Burris Eliminator is illegal?

i have a dumb question, but why is having a rangefinder built into your scope any different than carrying a 'external' range finder? maybe i am missing it as these types of issues are non-issues where i hunt, i guess you could just say i am failing to see the reasoning. Idgunner, please take no offense, but what does this imply

" This scope uses a laser rangefinder that is obviously projected downrange. That is the reason why it is illegal for ALL hunting in Idaho and I would suspect the same in Montana."

isnt any rangefinder you use projected downrange? or are rangefinders in general not allowed in ID? (which i am assuming is not the case)

again, not trying to stir anything up...just trying to get learned :)

No offense taken Scotty. These scopes with an internal rangefinder are only illegal for BIG GAME hunting in Idaho. One can only guess why. It seems to me that the regs make a statement like what I posted in my earlier remark about the scope projecting a laser beam. That is probably inserted to make clarification between a scope with rangefinder built in and one with a lighted reticle. Idaho does not allow many things that other states do. For instance; no scopes on black powder rifles, no lighted nocks on arrows, no expanding broadheads, no sabots in black powder rifles, no shotgun primers on black powder rifles. Don't know why. Make the hunt more challenging for the hunter and give game a better chance? (I know all of the arguments on both sides of that issue so let's not go there.) I'm just guessing.

Idaho changed the wording in the regs a few years ago from no battery power at all to now allowing it for a lit reticle. I suspect they will change it again in the near future to allow range finding scopes, it only makes sense since there is no difference than having the two separate. It seems to me they are just a little behind the tech in their rules on this one.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.