state laws on gun transportation

dickshuford

Hi Yall,

We are planning a trip from Louisiana to Wyoming via Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, and Nebraska. Our mission is to shoot prairie dogs in Wyoming, then go to Colorado, New Mexico, and home.

My question is, should I do anything special to conform to any laws on transportating weapons? We'll be pulling a 5th wheel camper with all of the weapons inside the camper compartment.

Also is there any law against carrying an handgun (unloaded) inside a vehicle(truck) ?

I kind of feel like most of these states are like Louisiana, where many people hunt and people understand. Again there are some real idiots working for the law enforcement agencies now a days. I don't want any trouble.

I have made similar trips, I called each states version of Dept. of Justice and got the info and recorded who I spoke to w/ date and time. If nothing else it shows a good faith effort.

Southpaw

Transporting Firearms During Travel

A provision of federal law serves as a defense to state or local laws which would prohibit the passage of persons with firearms in interstate travel.

Notwithstanding any state or local law, a person shall be entitled to transport a firearm from any place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and transport such firearm if the firearm is unloaded and in the trunk. In vehicles without a trunk, the unloaded firearm shall be in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Federal law prohibits the carrying of any firearm, concealed or unconcealed, on or about the person or in carry-on baggage while aboard an aircraft.The Transportation Security Administration(TSA) has established certain requirements for transporting firearms and ammunition. Firearms must be carried in a locked hard sided case. Ammunition must be declared and can be transported in checked baggage or in the same container as the firearm as long the firearm is unloaded.

Any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce must deliver the unloaded firearm into custody of the pilot, captain, conductor, or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of the trip.

NRA-ILA ::

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.