Starting to Plan My First Custom Rifle

I feel a little weird when I start drooling when looking at piece of steel. Feenix - you are contributing to my weirdness. It seems all of my recent photos are of rifles and my dog. Probably need some therapy.

Based on this great input, I believe I'm doing to go with 8 twist. I like to try different bullets, but probably will be in 140-168 gr. range for my hunting needs. I have and like the hammers, but also like the bonded lead core and Bergers. This should give me plenty of options for finding the bullet this rifle will like the most.
jpfrog - you provided a great deal of detailed input on saving weight. I will definitely consider these options.
I could not be in better place to vet my plans for a build. The level of experience and helpfulness is unparalleled on this forum.
Badlands Super BullDozer II, 160gn, BC of .690, requires 1:7. Food for thought.......

I've been very active in the outdoors for many decades. Purchased many factory rifles with very acceptable performance. I guess I am the point where I need to scratch an itch and start my plans for a custom build. Need is not the operative word, desire is the driving force. So here is my quick list of things I am considering:
Caliber: 280AI - I reload and love the .284 bullet. Less recoil on a lighter rifle just appeals to me, but still want reasonable velocity to reach out and touch something with deadly force at distance.
Action: Defiance Deviant Hunter - I don't have much experience with custom actions. Will consult with the gunsmith, but have heard many solid reviews on Defiance actions.
Stock: Manners MCS-LRH looks to be in the running.
Barrel: Proof Carbon Fiber Sendero contour. 24" 1-8.4 twist
Trigger: Trigger Tech
Bottom Metal: Hawkins MBE-2
Scope: VX6HD 3-18x50mm. Lightest I could find with quality glass and features I like.
Rings: TBD
I am trying to keep rifle weight to under 8.5 lbs with scope. Ranges will vary, but I am not an ELR guy. Most of hunts do not present a shot beyond 600.
I realize life is full of compromises, but if I'm going to spend this much on one rifle, it better stop the itch for a long time.
For those that are very versed in the custom rile world, please let me know where my thoughts are inadequate and provide input on things I should consider. My knowledge in components and gunsmith requirements are very limited.
Thanks.
A number of years ago I opted for a Cooper model 52 in .270 Weatherby Mag. It arrived at around 7.6 pounds and with a scope is well under 9 pounds. Don't know if you consider Cooper rifles as custom. I ended up sending it back, a few years later, re-barreled to .270win and it is lighter. Great shooter, good looking rifle. Not sure if they offer your twist requirement.

The Sendero light will save some weight,without compromising any thing in a hunting rig . I have excellent acc from my Sendero light Proof . It's pleanty heavy.
Agreed. I have the Sendero Light on my 280AI. I can shoot just as amazing of groups with it but it's a little harder to do my part because it's lighter and on a lighter rig. The only difference I see is that my POI shift is more so than with a regular Sendero presumably because the weight of the suppressor affects the lighter barrel more.

My build
Defiance tenacity LA
Paradigm CF stock and Hawkins BDL M5 combined weight of 1 lb 8 oz
Trigger tech
IBI hunter barrel 1-7.5" is .885 at muzzle
NF rings
NF Nx8 4-32
Unsure on muzzle brake for now.
Curious to see what it weighs in at once complete. Was hoping for 9 pounds or under. Not sure I'll make it. Maybe should of gone with a lighter scope but got a decent deal on the used NF.

I ran the numbers and came in at 8.3 lbs with the published weights of the components without suppressor or bipod. I realize it is tough to get to 8.5 and probably will go north of that number in ready to hunt weight. I have a light 308 (around 8 lbs ready to hunt) and a 7RM (around 12 lbs). The 308 feels like a feather compared to the 7RM. I really like the idea of suppressed as my ears have really been through too much over the years. However, I don't like the weight and length issues associated with the suppressor. Life is full of compromises. That is why perfection is almost impossible to achieve.
I have a full custom built on an anTi action, and while I really like it I have to admit it does nothing that my semi custom tikka builds don't do just as well. Unless you're 100% set on a long action cartridge that is.
Please don't take this as trying to step on your plans but here's my take.

Hunting suppressed is absolutely incredible! I hunt in the mountains where a shot is just as likely to be split second in the brush as it is to be 800 yards.
Muzzle brakes have cost me shot opportunities and in my terrain I'm done with them.
A good suppressor will knock the crap out of recoil and with a little practice it makes spotting your shots very easy.

I've moved to short barrels with wsm chamberings to get max velocity, the 7 wsm is my favorite but the brass issues steered me towards a 7-300 wsm (which I improved)
Personally I would recommend doing something similar to what I just built and skip the cute expensive stuff.
The 7 saum is a good choice but the wsm is quite a bit faster.
Or you could go with a 7 Sherman max, I hear Mr Sherman has fully formed brass for it from ADG

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/7-300-long-range-improved.292232/#post-2418832

Here's a run down of my cost for that set up:

$500 for a used tikka 270 wsm -$80 for the barrel I sold
$375 for the prefit barrel from McGowen, you can send them your action and have it installed for a little more.
I ordered an ultralight sub 20 oz stock from MPI for $800 but there are many options out there in the 25-30 oz range
$50 for a mountain tactical aluminum tikka magazine, and $10 for a 1 lb trigger spring

$1700 for a super accurate sub 6 lb rifle
$1100 for the suppressor and tax stamp
Plus the scope of your choice
I like talley ultralight one piece mounts

7.62 Gunner - I can certainly appreciate your post. I have rifles in the safe that will shoot flatter and some that are lighter. They are a fraction of the cost of what this build come in at. I also have always wanted a suppressed rifle, just haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. I know there are a number of Tikka fans and I'm sure they are great rifles, but every time I handled them I just didn't feel like it was the rifle for me. This build is about just getting the best rifle for me and fill a void I have. This is not the logical cost efficient approach of buying a tool to get the job done. It is more of an adventure in finally getting a custom rifle made just for me. BTW - have you been talking to my wife?😳

Check out (Wolf precision) He builds the most state of the art rifle on the market, and use only the best of a components. You will be talking with Jamie himself who started out in the military then law enforcement the gunsmith, teaches long range and reloading class. Fantastic guy.

I did get some great suggestions. Twist and weight saving got my attention and actually changed my mind on a couple of things. Your pictures of the An Ti X closed the deal in my mind. LOL. Now if I could make up my mind on stock color and nitride/bare stainless, I should be set. At least I think so….. Well maybe not.. There is always dies, new case, etc., etc. Oh my!!

You might want to reach out to Ryan Pierce. He is building a 300PRC for me right now with very similar components, and the total weight without scope is right at 8lbs. He also has quite a few builds "in the white", ready to go and put together, so time to get one may be fairly short by custom gun standards. Ryan can fill you in, but he gets great accuracy, good weight compromise (reasonable to carry, stable enough to shoot long range). Here is his contact info:
Ryan Pierce
Piercision Rifles
www.piercisionrifles.com
563-776-4127
Super nice guy, took the time to review components and choices with me, gave his opinions when asked, and then got to work. Can't say enough nice things about him. Based on what others on this forum have said, I'm assuming the gun will be a shooter. Check him out.