Starting to Plan My First Custom Rifle

I had a very similar build in 28 nosler. An ti, 26" proof cf, manners eh1, bdl floor, Christensen titanium brake, vx5hd 3-15x44, trigger tech. Scaled right at 8#. I think you'll be very happy with your rig. Enjoy this build time with your factory rifles cause u ain't gonna spend anymore time together once it's done🤪

Weight I guess the only difference. Maybe someone could argue that if you get the solid rail with hunter port you have more dimensional stability because it's 1 rail instead of 2 separate mini rails. Those mini-rails also limit you to mounting your rings right there and nowhere else but all of this is kind of minutiae. Both look awesome. I only have the Deviant with deep fluted bolt and love it.

Weight I guess the only difference. Maybe someone could argue that if you get the solid rail with hunter port you have more dimensional stability because it's 1 rail instead of 2 separate mini rails. Those mini-rails also limit you to mounting your rings right there and nowhere else but all of this is kind of minutiae. Both look awesome. I only have the Deviant with deep fluted bolt and love it.
Anti needs rings or rail added. Anti X has mini rail built in

I know a couple of guys shooting the 140-150 monos with 8.4 without a problem.
Sorry...Can't give you more on the heavier mono's though.

I had the itch too. So here's what I've accumulated and weighed thus far. Could be an ounce or two either way .........it took awhile to research, decide and find the components.

Caliber - 7 Rem Mag
Action - Defiance AnTi = 22 oz
Barrel- #4 Bartlein Carbon Sendero lite 24" = 48 oz (finished weight)
Bottom metal - Hawkins = 3 oz
Trigger - Trigger Tech Diamond = 2 oz
Stock - AG Composite Visigoth = 30 oz
Ti Brake - 2.5 oz
Rings - Hawkins Hybrid = 2 oz
Scope - NXS or Mark 5HD = 30 oz

Weight - 139.5 ounces = 8.718 pounds

Me like light….. The only problem I anticipate is being too worried about scratching or banging things up on hunts. OMG! This things is going to cost me more than my truck is worth😳😳. Oh well. You only live once…
I agree with you 100%. These custom rigs are out of control, but then again so is everything else.

I'm old and had lots of work done ($$) on my other factory rifles that shoot extremely well. This is my first and last custom (because I'm old😀) and I wanted something sub - 9lbs with Scope so I decided to go in head first.

Everything is here with the exception of the rifle stock......the wait begins. Hopefully you're young and can amortize the cost of the rifle over many years of hunting. Good luck with your build!

Me like light….. The only problem I anticipate is being too worried about scratching or banging things up on hunts. OMG! This things is going to cost me more than my truck is worth😳😳. Oh well. You only live once…
They look better, fit better and get sexier with mileage on em!
Then, once you know and trust the capabilities of that fine rifle... you become one! LOL ;)

Sounds like it will be sweet. The 280AI is one of my favorites. In theory and in reality. I have one but it's at the smiths shop waiting for a new barrel to be installed. Will be a 284 win. 24" and 8.25x. Proof Sendero. I just got a new ATACR 4-20x50 with MIL-XT and will be a nice set up. You won't regret the 280AI. It's super easy to tune and it seems like it's inherently accurate. H4831SC is the cream of the crop for this one. Good velocities and killer accuracy with low ES/SD numbers. Mine loved the 162 ELDMs and equally as much the 168 ABLR. It hammered one full grown moose, caribou and I'm forgetting something lol. It's elk worthy and for anything smaller.

Post made me realize how lazy I am at the custom game. 🤦
I just tell my smith what I want to do, max price, and he'll throw a few ideas my way.
I look at ammo cost and decide. 🤣

They say age is a state of the mind. I've reached the ripe old age of 61. I feel like 90 this morning from hauling and splitting firewood yesterday. One of the reasons I am going with the 280ai is my supply of bullets and powders I have in the cabinets for my 7RM's. They are fun to shoot, but they are heavy and slow twist. I really like the idea of being able to use some of these components in a rifle that is designed by me to optimize the longer bullets. I also wanted to get away from the belt and feel comfortable hauling the rifle on long treks in the woods.
After looking more closely at actions yesterday evening, I am leaning more in the direction of the Defiance An Ti X. It definitely would shave off a few ounces compared to the Deviant. It would reduce some of scope mounting positions, but hopefully would still work well.
Now I need to determine if I want to bite the bullet and go suppressed. So many decisions to make……

They say age is a state of the mind. I've reached the ripe old age of 61. I feel like 90 this morning from hauling and splitting firewood yesterday. One of the reasons I am going with the 280ai is my supply of bullets and powders I have in the cabinets for my 7RM's. They are fun to shoot, but they are heavy and slow twist. I really like the idea of being able to use some of these components in a rifle that is designed by me to optimize the longer bullets. I also wanted to get away from the belt and feel comfortable hauling the rifle on long treks in the woods.
After looking more closely at actions yesterday evening, I am leaning more in the direction of the Defiance An Ti X. It definitely would shave off a few ounces compared to the Deviant. It would reduce some of scope mounting positions, but hopefully would still work well.
Now I need to determine if I want to bite the bullet and go suppressed. So many decisions to make……

I think you'll come in just a little heavy of goal.

I built a similar set up with a an-ti and 21 inch lighter contour cf barrel. Used the same scope as your plans in seekins rings on a pic rail. It weighs 9 with a suppressor and bipod. Not sure of bare rifle weight.

Everything is a compromise when building.

I dont know the weight of your stock choice but if its not a cf light weight design thats a quick way to shed some weight.

If looking to shed more weight you can go with the anti.

I'd also recommend looking at the Def Tenacity. It's a standard weight option but will save some serious money over the deviant and do all you want to do in a hunting rig.

I ran the numbers and came in at 8.3 lbs with the published weights of the components without suppressor or bipod. I realize it is tough to get to 8.5 and probably will go north of that number in ready to hunt weight. I have a light 308 (around 8 lbs ready to hunt) and a 7RM (around 12 lbs). The 308 feels like a feather compared to the 7RM. I really like the idea of suppressed as my ears have really been through too much over the years. However, I don't like the weight and length issues associated with the suppressor. Life is full of compromises. That is why perfection is almost impossible to achieve.

Recent Posts