Starting point

MikeP.338

Hello to everyone. I am new to the sport of long range hunting and I have many of the same questions as alot of new guys, is my rig a good starting point? I have a Rem 700 XCR in .338 WM topped with a basic Leupold VX3.
I know I am looking at upgrading the scope in the future but I wanted some thoughts on if the rifle itself is a good starting point for let's say 800+ yrds? That is my goal. If it is what would be the right first steps in accurizing? Possibly muzzle brake, recoil pad.. Thanks in advance.

You can use one of the muscle breaks that are sold on this site. Kirby Allen's APS break works very well on my cousin's 338 Lapua. Shawn Carlock makes some very nice breaks. For the money I would suggest the muscle break.

Tank

Thats the one I am leaning towards. I plan on giving them a call Monday or so. Hopefully it will calm the recoil some.

A muzzle brake and a recoil pad does nothing for the rifle as far as accuracy but they really help with controlling flinching in a heavy recoiling rifle and that makes you more accurate. Personally for a hunting carry rifle I don't care for brakes as the noise will tear your ears off without protection but the noise can be dealt with in the field.

You don't say how well the rifle shoots now. Have you took it to 800 yards and can you stay within 1 MOA at that range? How well does it group at 300 yards consistently? I would suggest finding a qualified rifle smith near you and have a conversation after you have shot it enough to know what you and the rifle are capable of and where you would like to go.

Yes the 338 Win Mag is a very capable 800 yard rifle. Good luck with your endeavor.

I started with a similar rig. My rifle is a .338 RUM M700 XCR. The .338 win is about as capable as the .300 WIN so you're in business. I found my XCR to be very accurate with hand loads, though I wish that it had a heavier conour barrel. You'll have to see how accurate you can get your rifle to shoot and that will be the deciding factor on how far you can shoot.

on gear, all that I can really say is that you should be trying to shoot the highest B.C 225 grain bullets you can find and you should send your scope to leupold and get some turrets installes. I believe that alot of guys around here also use Kenton Ind. Turrets also.

I personally wouldnt brake a .338 Win. the recoil is managable and with a rifle as light as the XCR i doubt that you'll be able to spot your won shots.

The noise from the brake is a concern I have, but I am trying to weigh the advantages of the reduced recoil apposed to the increased noise. To be honest I havn't had the oportunity to shoot anywhere near 800 yrds. That would be my goal to get to that point. Bottom line is I need to start at ground zero and build my ability along with building up my rifle. I just want to be sure that the things I do will give me the end result I want.

Im getting mine capped because I shot a buck without earplugs in and lost all hearing in my left ear for 3 hours. If your not sensitive to recoil I wouldnt get one installed. If you do, get it so that it comes on and off easily and only use it when your set up with a long shot and have time to put in plugs. then you get the best of both worlds.

Hello to everyone. I am new to the sport of long range hunting and I have many of the same questions as alot of new guys, is my rig a good starting point? I have a Rem 700 XCR in .338 WM topped with a basic Leupold VX3.
I know I am looking at upgrading the scope in the future but I wanted some thoughts on if the rifle itself is a good starting point for let's say 800+ yrds? That is my goal. If it is what would be the right first steps in accurizing? Possibly muzzle brake, recoil pad.. Thanks in advance.
It all depends on how your rifle shoots.

IF you can find a load it will shoot .75moa at 100yds, you have something to work with.

If you don't, you're going to have a real hard time beyond 600yds.

As for glass, you can spend a lot more than you did on your VX 3 without getting any appreicable return.

What magnification is it? Is it a side focus parallax adjust?

Has your rifle been free floated and pillar bedded?

If you haven't done the latter I'd say start right there, then see if you can get a load that suits you.

Welcome.

The noise from the brake is a concern I have, but I am trying to weigh the advantages of the reduced recoil apposed to the increased noise. To be honest I havn't had the oportunity to shoot anywhere near 800 yrds. That would be my goal to get to that point. Bottom line is I need to start at ground zero and build my ability along with building up my rifle. I just want to be sure that the things I do will give me the end result I want.
All else aside, a good brake will allow you to see your hits and misses as they occur by reducing muzzle flip.

It's absolutely worthwhile in my opinion for that if nothing else.

Mike you might want to consider giving this one a look.

ASI Linear Compensator.

tapered_break_2.gif

ASI_Quiet_Linear_Compensator.gif

Carl developed this brake and it is not only very effective particularly at reducing muzzle flip, but it keeps all the sound going forward.

They work very well.

Rifle Accuracy Systems Inc Custom Accurate Rifles Barrel Conversions Ruger Mini Remington 700 7400 750 AR10 AR15

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.