Starting Over..

flyin lizard

Greetings fellow long range shooters. In a fit of stupidity about 10 years ago I sold my T/C Contender super 14 that had been rechambered by SSK Ind. to a 358 JDJ. The cartridge was fantastic and I filled a lot of deer tags over the years with it..

So now want to get back into handgun hunting with a long range option, say 5 to 600 yards..

So my main question is should I go back to a T/C of some sort or are there better systems available now..

I really like the look of the Savage Striker.
I own 3 Savage rifles and am very happy with them , or what about the xp-100's.

The primary target animal would be whitetails, with a few woodchucks during the summer months, Caliber suggested welcomed and I already have a 300wsm rifle so thats an option too if its available

There is a Savage Striker 300WSM in the sale forum, it would be mine but Christmas is supposed to be about giving to others not just me :D Also stupidly traded my Contender of on a truck I had to have, I've all ways wanted the Contender back not the truck!!

Flying Lizard,
When it comes to LR hunting the TC's are not my weapon of choice.
I like the XP-100's,
MOA Maximum's:
MOA Corporation Homepage
MOA Maximum Handgun
The Striker's are typically quite accurate but have a unsatisfactory trigger.
If, converted to a rear-grip, you can get a good trigger.
Purchasing a non-designated action Savage Target action or almost any action you can think of, and then you can build a rear grip SP.
Cartridges I use the most would be: 6.5-284, 6.5 WSM, 284 Win, 7mm SAUM or WSM.
The 260 Rem and 7-08 Would also get you there as well, but would be pushing it to the edge of their capability in a SP
I also have some larger cartridges that would be overdoing it for 5-6 hundred yard hunting.
A break-open that I really like but have not had the time to use a lot yet is Freedom Arm's Single-Shot specialty handgun.
Interchangeable barrels and the barrel is free floated.
The chambering I will be using the most is is a 6.5x55 Swede Improved
The MOA SP also has a free-floated barrel.
This would also get you to your desired max distance on deer.

If you had a JDJ once and parted with it, you can be forgiven for that. Go back to SSK and look at 309 JDJ or 338JDJ#2. If you could handle the 358, the 338 will seem WAY COOL!! Speed is your need? Check out the 6.5 Mini-Dreadnaught that SSK offers. Personally, I am a 309 guy. The 6.5 Mini will offer 400yds. in the compact (relative to the SP arena), easy to handle, TC framework. The man in Ohio knows what he is doing with TCs.

When long range hunting with a SP I pick a XP-100 or a custom action here is a pic of my 330 Dakota XP-100 with a 18" 10 twist broughton barrel gunsmith Nawakwa Accuracy

P1010099.jpg

I shoot the 225 accubond at 2880 fps and the 300 g SMK at 2544 fps with good results on elk and deer

I love my T/C setups for the shooting that I do.
My 6.5x284 is still new to me and I haven't killed anything with it yet...but I know its a shooter.
I'm cheap and can't afford the shooters that Ernie has, but he does have TONS more shooting time than I do.
So if you got the money, take his advice and you can't go wrong.
So far long range to me has been around 500yds...that's spitting distance for Ernie! :)

Think I'm gonna go with the M.O.A. maximum in 6.5 x 47 lapua..

I think you will be very happy with it. I was out with mine Thursday coyote hunting. It's a 6.5x284.
My son and I have taken some antelope out in WY with it along with some deer here in WI.
My 7 Sundance MOA (376 Styer case) has also dropped a nice mule deer last year, didn't make it out west this year ;-((((

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts