Starting over again

You're probably right about the 1/2 lbs making a difference but it might as I get older. I really can see merit in both of these calibers which it makes it tough.

Since your selling both guns why not buy two new ones at the weights you want. If your worried about recoil, like stated before, a muzzle break will take all the recoil out of a 308.

idcwby

For what your doing the CM will work just fine. Put a good bullet in it and go for it. I have looked at the new Savage with a carbon fiber barrel as well as the new Weatherby's. Both are sub 6 lb rifles if I remember correctly. Good luck.
Bruce

My hat in the ring, as I share some of the OP' s concern, would be 7-08, with 140 ab, stuffed with Varget, in whatever rifle you feel comfortable to carry.
My second thought would be a 25.06, in a nice Tikka, or Sako. Love that quarter bore. Lite recoil, lazer trajectory, smokes whitetail.
You don't need one, if you have the other! But wanting is ok! HEHEHE

My vote would be the 308 win. If you only want one, it's the last one you will ever need. Barrel will last you forever. I load mine with 152 Hammers up to 215 Bergers. It has a brake, but as stated, concentrate hard enough on the crosshairs and I don't notice the recoil.

Just to clarify things, years ago I built a 308 starting with a cheap Remington ADL on sale at Academy. I replaced the stock with a Blackhawk Axiom recoil reducing stock. The result was outstanding, all recoil was mitigated and the accuracy was excellent. I now so regret selling it but since all those parts are still available that would be the route I will go if I choose the 308. On the other hand for the 6.5 I'm considering the Tikka T3 lite. The Tikka is about a 1/2 lbs lighter. The decision is really about caliber. That why the post.
I've never used one on a rifle, but I've had the same Mossberg 835 since the early 90s and that thing felt like you were hit with a sledgehammer shooting 3.5" turkey loads. I threw a Blackhawk recoil reducer on it and a 3.5" mag feels like shooting a 223 with a 40gr bullet now. They are unreal and I highly recommend them if recoil is a true issue for anyone.

For those ranges the 6.5 cm would be my choice. Especially when recoil is on that list. You could even go with a 6cm or .243 for even less recoil.

2 things: a radial brake does a nice job of mitigating recoil and not really increasing sound to the shooter.
And
Get a 257 weatherby-- will drop animals like flies.
Love the 308 and SST bullets too.

My father in law was talking about recoil being bad for him at 70, so i built him a 308 using a Remington 700 sps. i pulled the 22 in barrel, and replaced it with a standard 700 taper Shilen barrel cut it to 20 inch's, put it in a Bell and Carlson stock with a Trigger Tech special. the gun with a Meopta r-1 3x12-56 come's in at 7.2 lbs. it is a tack driver with Hornady 165 gmx factory loads. the gun is so much fun that i built myself one. my gun shoots the Winchester 150 xp. I am a 6.5 guy, my Creedmoor has a 20 in. #4 xcaliber barrel in a Mcmillian game hunter stock, it will shoot hornady factory loads sub 1/2 moa all day. weight 8 lbs. no recoil. Hope this helps.

I'm pretty happy with my Wby Altitude in 6.5 CRDM. Tips the scales at 5.75 lbs., so with the old Vari-X 3 I mounted on it, it's under 7 lbs. I can squeeze just under .5 MOA out of it, with a modest charge of 37.1 grains of RL-15 (130 Accubond). Good deer gun out to 250 where I hunt and I just validated a 95-grain V-max load to use it this summer as a walking varminter. I can even slap my Harris Bi-pod on it and walk around with it and the weight is more than manageable. Only problem now is my son always want to use it. They are pricey at 2k. The other gun I'd look at would be the Sako Finnlight in 7-08. Good luck!

thumbnail.jpg

If your really worried about the "recoil" try a Gas, Gun. Any of the Simi auto's will have a felt recoil that should be way less. 308 out of a AR-10 feels like a 223+/- and Will Kill PIG's and the Texas white tail all day/night long! And you will have follow up shots (as many as wanted)!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.