Starting over again

gvjm

So I've got a chance to start over again. I'm getting rid of my 9 1/2 lbs 308 and my 10 1/2 lbs 6.5 CM! At my advanced stage of youth (66) I'm really bothered by the weight. I've fallen in love with light weight rifles and I'm looking to replace these two with one. The question is caliber. I'm a Texas hunter, deer and hog, who rarely has shots I've 250-300. I believe the 308 will be more effective at these ranges but I'm not sure if I won't be better off with the 6.5 in a lightweight due to recoil. Although a Axiom recoil reducing stock will mitigate any 308 recoil. My hesitation is that I've developed a load with a 165 Speer BTSP that, at least on the ballistics charts, out performance all CM loads but that's just one load. In all other loads the CM is pretty equivalent. I also own a 7 mag which covers any "upper end" needs I might have. With that in mind, of the two which way would you go?

Interesting question, the CM will of course be a joy to shoot with light recoil but the 308 is a broader spectrum cartridge with a variety of bullet weights. Light 308's with 165gr up can recoil some for bad shoulders or long bench sessions. A brake would really tame the 308 down, I shoot a 260 and like the CM it is fun to shoot and recoil is minimal. Out past 300yd's either will be deadly, course both will also shoot bug holes with the right load work and bullet's. You'll probably always second guess your choice either way, guess if it had to be two guns down to one I would pick the 308. I like low recoil guns cause with age I don't like to get jolted around as much as in the past, I can shoot real tight groups if the gun recoil doesn't become a factor. The 308 I shoot is a 12# gun so felt recoil is quite mild, my two lightweights are 260 and 7mm-08 and they are tame as well with 130-140gr bullets. I don't hold a gun tight in a benchrest setting so gun will jump some but not bad, I like to be surprised when the gun fires (I'm concentrating on the reticle and breathing). Its funny when I shoot at game I never feel the gun recoil heavy or light. In your choice I would rather have two cartridges for different purposes, but I'm still blessed with good shoulder's. Dave

Last edited:
Considering your goals (1 - light weight gun, 2 - reduced recoil, 3 - deer & hogs capable to 300 yards) the 6.5 Creedmoor would seem the better choice. But if you just love the .308 Win, shooting a lighter mono bullet thru it (like a 130 gr Barnes TSX) would give you similar recoil to the 6.5CM but with a bullet packing a larger diameter.

At the ranges you are talking about shooing, and on the animals that you will be after, either will do the job very well. personally, I think a light-weight 308 will kick you pretty hard. I would go with the 6.5 CM, based on that. You can load the 6.5 CM all the way up to ~160 grain hunting bullets, and down to under 100 Grains. That is quite a bit of versatility.

Given your criteria I would cast a vote for the 6.5 ... the 7mm-08 is worthy of consideration as well but it sounds like you're already setup to load both the 6.5 and .308 so adding another cartridge to your bench probably isn't desirable.

Just to clarify things, years ago I built a 308 starting with a cheap Remington ADL on sale at Academy. I replaced the stock with a Blackhawk Axiom recoil reducing stock. The result was outstanding, all recoil was mitigated and the accuracy was excellent. I now so regret selling it but since all those parts are still available that would be the route I will go if I choose the 308. On the other hand for the 6.5 I'm considering the Tikka T3 lite. The Tikka is about a 1/2 lbs lighter. The decision is really about caliber. That why the post.

So I've got a chance to start over again. I'm getting rid of my 9 1/2 lbs 308 and my 10 1/2 lbs 6.5 CM! At my advanced stage of youth (66) I'm really bothered by the weight. I've fallen in love with light weight rifles and I'm looking to replace these two with one. The question is caliber. I'm a Texas hunter, deer and hog, who rarely has shots I've 250-300. I believe the 308 will be more effective at these ranges but I'm not sure if I won't be better off with the 6.5 in a lightweight due to recoil. Although a Axiom recoil reducing stock will mitigate any 308 recoil. My hesitation is that I've developed a load with a 165 Speer BTSP that, at least on the ballistics charts, out performance all CM loads but that's just one load. In all other loads the CM is pretty equivalent. I also own a 7 mag which covers any "upper end" needs I might have. With that in mind, of the two which way would you go?
My vote would go to the 7mm-08 can be down loaded with great accuracy or loaded full tilt for longer range hunting

My plan is the 308 in a 7 to 7 1/2 lb chassy all in... 165 gr bullets at the node bellow max charge,,, real good barrel life...

I wear a full time gel shoulder pad,,, year 6 or 7 of this,,, best investments todate,,, ha... of course I don't need it it when hunting since I normally only need 1 or 2 shots when tumbling critters to the ground...

But yes,,, a muzzle break,,, good quality wide butt pad,,, a gel shoulder pad on top of that and the day at the range is easy...
Im a none MB shooter,,, so the Gel shoulder pad is my go to...

I like my 6.5,,, but I've had my run at it and now its time to return to the 30 caliber world...

Old and borning,,, its things like this that I enjoy the most,,, what can't I not hunt or target shoot with my 308's at the distances I shoot...

Super fun and frugal,,, with the option of loading hot and heavy if I choose to up the game plan... Ha...

Cheers from the North

Just to clarify things, years ago I built a 308 starting with a cheap Remington ADL on sale at Academy. I replaced the stock with a Blackhawk Axiom recoil reducing stock. The result was outstanding, all recoil was mitigated and the accuracy was excellent. I now so regret selling it but since all those parts are still available that would be the route I will go if I choose the 308. On the other hand for the 6.5 I'm considering the Tikka T3 lite. The Tikka is about a 1/2 lbs lighter. The decision is really about caliber. That why the post.
Sounds like your learning towards the 308. I understand wanting a lighter gun, are you mainly hunting from a blind or walking around? I ask because if your hunting from a blind, the 1/2lb difference wouldn't really matter.

idcwby

I believe the 308 will be more effective at these ranges

No, it won't. Both will easily kill deer and hogs at 300 yards. There's no advantage to the 308 that would justify the extra recoil. I also recommend 6.5C, but agree with Frog on shooting copper bullets if you choose 308.

Last edited:
300 yards, deer, and hogs, light rifle lite recoiling, you could not go with the 6.5 CM. If you reload and wanted to use your 308 brass, you could always resize it down to a 260 Remington.
Another option might be a 270 Winchester, it would do everything your asking and not beat on you as far as recoil goes.
I found out years ago that you do not have to have a magnum to kill whitetail and hogs.
I am not far behind you in youngness, and don't like recoil either.

Sounds like your learning towards the 308. I understand wanting a lighter gun, are you mainly hunting from a blind or walking around? I ask because if your hunting from a blind, the 1/2lb difference wouldn't really matter.

idcwby
You're probably right about the 1/2 lbs making a difference but it might as I get older. I really can see merit in both of these calibers which it makes it tough.

I would look at light weight at fast velocities the lighter the bullet the less it kicks hammer has a 113grn 7mm and a 101 grn 308. I have been loading 125 grn in 7mm for my daughter (she's 14) and she has been shooting great groups without flinching this is her first center fire rifle other than an ar that she has ever shot

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.