Starting out long range rifle

Jason

I live in New Zealand and I am just getting into long range hunting.
I will be shooting goats and deer, I need a rifle I can shoot off a bipod as I walk around a bit and sit and glass various hot spots on farms I shoot on.
I will limit my range to around 600-700yds max. Most of the animals I shoot weight under 180lbs (mostly 10olbs or so).
I have lots of experience shooting rabbits and hares with a .17 rem and currently a .223 mostly 100-300yds
any suggestions, calibre, rifle make etc?
Thanks

Hi Jason

Member number 117 and your first post??? Been holding back I guess
smile.gif
smile.gif

This is a pretty standard concern and question... first large(r) game long range rifle and chambering... Standard answer is....... drum roll please..... 308 Winchester in an affordable, accurate and upgradable package. I opt for the Remington action rifles myself but there's a growing number of folks that like the new Savage offerings
confused.gif
(Personally.. I think they bumped their head once too often but there's a lot of them around).

You already shoot to 300 yards you say and I'd venture a guess that you're using hold-overs to do so (I could be wrong) and this is typical and often limits the range folks feel comfortable shooting... On the rifle package you select ensure you get a good scope with either a calibrated/graduated reticle or a good adjustment system so you can "zero" the scope for the range to the critter.

700 yards might be a little long for a 308 on a large critter but you'll first need to get to 400, 500 and 600 and you'll have learned a good deal during that process. With this early data you can then easily make the decision as to the effectiveness of the 308 Win on the type critters you'll be killing at 700 and beyond.

I wouldn't worry too much about getting into loading ammo for the 308 Win... buy some Black Hills or Federal Gold Medal Match in the 168 or 175 variety (if available there). This ammo will work fine for critters when the shots are to the lungs, heart, brain areas... they'll also work for other non-optimal areas but I try to avoid shots that won't allow for heart, lung or brain.

Good luck... once you're on your way and have a sound base of ballistics knowledge and markmanship skills you'll be killing them further than you ever imagined... Unless you're in the ULR crowd... I believe they glass the moon every once in a while looking for opportunities
smile.gif
smile.gif

/r

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts