Starting out in research for a Barbary sheep hunt

wildcat westerner

Hello,
Undoubtedly some of you may end up laughing at this, but Iassure you I Am serious. I drew a Barbary sheep hunt in New Mexico for December. It has been years since I have been ona serious mountain hunt and I am recently recovered from both Cancer and a heart attack. I "soft peddled" this hunt and received permission to make this two week hunt from my doctor, amalready losing weight and in a excercise program at the local college.
The area to be hunted surrounds the Mescalero Apache reservation and is between 800 and 1,000 square miles. Most of it, I am told, has no Barbary sheep.
I am writing you due to researching this hunt,using all these latest technologies. I know about GoogleEarth, but how do you receive coordinates toresearch sucha large area? Also, GE is also electronically functioning, and I am certain I need maps of this country that won't "die" ifa battery goes dead, or things get wet. The BLM tells me to download "carry maps", which I have done,but there is this tiny screen and the battery problem, once again.
So I can use serious,experionced help in learning about this country, this species, and also hunting this area in December, as to weather conditions.
Thank you in advance,
WW

Wish I could help with your area but my Aoudad was taken in The Davis Mountains in the Big Bend area of South Texas. Lots of sheep but, I can assure you, other mountain sheep have NOTHING on those critters. Good luck with your hunt. You'll have a great time.

Don't take this wrong, but with your health history and have not done a mountain hunt in a long time I might would want to consider an outfitted hunt. Just saying. Anyway I hope you shoot a big one.

RICK,
Thanks for your insight which makes a lot of practical sense. I have drawn retirement checks for 21 years now and an outfitted hunt is simply not an option I would readily choose anymore. I do find the challenge of trying to take a quality Barbery sheep in NM on public land to be a major barrier I wish to overcome. i do have two advantages: time I will spend on this hunt, I do have a 800 yd. range to practice on, and set some worlds records for long distance shooting a long time ago.
WW

Thanks six pack, but really nothing could be further from the truth. At my age I have multiple disabilities and most sane people in my condition would never attempt this. Still, devoting the time as I can to this hunt, the idea of pursuing a species of game I have yet to see I find highly appealing.

Take Care,
WW

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts