Starting out first calibre??

Young buck

Hay super new to this forum. I've been reading threads for a couple months now regarding calibers and reloading and it's really interesting. I'm in search of my second gun the first being a .223 tikka I use on the coyotes around here. I live on a property where I have a 400 yr range setup but I can probably push it to 700. I'm looking for a cartridge that's relatively inexpensive to shoot and I really want to get into reloading in the future so somthing that Is easier to learn on. I love the lesser known cartridges like the 280 Ai but they're running me like 70 bucks a box. Which has really pushed me to the 6.5 cm/308/7-08 suggestions? Ideally a common cartridge that gets a significant benefit to hand loading.

start reloading now, any good ammo is expensive.
All the cartridges you mentioned are just fine for shooting to 700.
Do you plan to hunt big game or just shoot for fun?
6.5's are nice if you don't need the horsepower of a 7 or .30. Recoil is nice, muzzle blast is nice, lots of good high bc bullets, lots of cartridge choices.
As much as I like to make fun of the creedmoor, it's a good little round for plinking and shooting medium sized game. I prefer the .260, but you can flip a coin on that issue. I really like the .260ai. The 6.5 saum or 6.5 prc will get you out there a little farther and help in the wind, but if your just shooting for fun tbe 6.5cm or .260 is probably the easiest thing to do, creedmoor has more support for sure.
They all benefit from hand loading.

At this point it is going to be very difficult to find components for reloading of any type of caliber because of panic buying. With that in mind I would start with what you shoot already. I would consider buying your components for your 223 in the 75, 80, or 85 grain weights as your tikka is a bolt rifle and can handle the longer bullets. I shoot 75 grainers at 500 yards out of my AR15 so I know you can go the distance with the 80 and 85 grainers easily. Start putting yourself in notify lists from different suppliers and eventually you can get the components needed to start reloading. Be patient as supplies are nearly non-existent and prices are getting jacked up due to demand, so prepare to pay above normal prices if you must have the items now, it's your call.

Thanks for the quick reply! I'm going to my local gun shop tomorrow to check out and see what they have for factory ammo for the 260 its seems like a neat cartridge. I'll also look around for some reloading equipment. How are the hornady single stage reloading kits?
Biggest thing I'd hunt is maybe an elk. Depends what walks through my yard I've seen moose bear and deer mosly

At this point it is going to be very difficult to find components for reloading of any type of caliber because of panic buying. With that in mind I would start with what you shoot already. I would consider buying your components for your 223 in the 75, 80, or 85 grain weights as your tikka is a bolt rifle and can handle the longer bullets. I shoot 75 grainers at 500 yards out of my AR15 so I know you can go the distance with the 80 and 85 grainers easily. Start putting yourself in notify lists from different suppliers and eventually you can get the components needed to start reloading. Be patient as supplies are nearly non-existent and prices are getting jacked up due to demand, so prepare to pay above normal prices if you must have the items now, it's your call.
I was debating on reloading what I already have. In terms of componants theres a lot of stuff in local stores. I'm in canada and people haven't really gone too nuts over the reloading stuff.

I was debating on reloading what I already have. In terms of componants theres a lot of stuff in local stores. I'm in canada and people haven't really gone too nuts over the reloading stuff.
If I were you I would reload this caliber. I see you have a Tikka rifle and out of the box this is a highly accurate rifle. I own one in 30-06 and speaking from experience I was out shooting a person with a custom rifle and scope worth several thousand dollars more than my set up. I'm not speaking ill of the set up he had could have been that the problem was him. I love shooting smaller calibers at extreme distances. Only way I know on how to keep on my toes when reading the wind. Your .223 in my opinion will easily do the 700 yards you want to shoot and it is a great way for you to become proficient in reading the wind.

6.5 Creedmoor is hard to beat for a factory setup. Components are easy to find and reloading for this round is easy with various projectile weights in my opinion. Now with that said, a good custom in 6.5 X 47 is the ticket. Super accurate and accuracy is so reliable that it makes this round boring at times to shoot.

I've been able to find 6mm Creedmoor ammo from Federal Gold Metal for $1 a round before the latest shortage. The 6mm Creedmoor is fun to shoot. If you need something with a little more downrange energy try the 6.5mm Creddmoor.

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.