Starting my long distance journey

karcus

Hello all,

Been lurking and reading tons of info, and messing with ballistic calculators.

First some back story.

I've been hunting like a bow hunter for so long I've neglected my abilities to shoot over 200 yards. Last 2 white tail were

35 yards with a 1873 in .357 magnum.
65 yards with .223 in an AR

Both only made it a couple steps.

Takes me to a recent axis hunt. Last year I saw none so I didn't know what to expect. This year I saw a bunch, they all hung out in the 350-500 yard range. Buck fever and poor judgement got the best of me and I let one fly thinking he was about 250 out with my .223. Saw the dirt splash at his feet. Went back and ranged the shot at 368! I've got a year to prep and I've decided I need a proper deer cartridge, as I don't want to miss another opportunity on a paid, once a year hunt.

I'm at 12 months on the wait for a dead air nomad LTI, this is a 8.5" inch or so suppressor. While I want to choose a flat shooting cartridge, I also don't want a 26" barrel with 8" of can on it.

So my question is, what cartridge will net me a sweet spot of a good MPBR and make sense in an 18-22 inch rifle? I want short but am willing to sacrifice my desire for short in order to get the performance I want.

I've been considering…

257 Robert's
25-06
6.5-284 norma
6.5 prc
257 weatherby

I'm assuming 257 wby would be a waste in anything shorter than 24"

Am I being silly for wanting something other than 308 or 7mm 08 in a shorter barrel?

Long range hunting to me means a range finder and scope with turrets. I also don't think a short barrel is a waste, it's just giving up some velocity for a handier overall length package. A shorter barrel mag allows you to achieve a desired velocity. It will burn all the powder, just won't achieve max velocity before exiting barrel vs a longer barrel. Your going to give up 25-45fps per inch. Not that big of a deal to add a couple more clicks to the scope.

This year I saw a bunch, they all hung out in the 350-500 yard range. Buck fever and poor judgement got the best of me and I let one fly thinking he was about 250 out with my .223. Saw the dirt splash at his feet. Went back and ranged the shot at 368!

Respectfully, a different cartridge is not going to help with your situation.

As stated above you will need a good rangefinder or a better scope with range finding capabilities. This includes accurate turret corrections.

Second, you will need to expend more time practicing with that rangefinder and scope in conjunction with your load development. Practice from field positions not from a bench.

Be sure to choose the appropriate bullet suited to the game you wish to harvest. After all the expense and practice, it would be a shame to have a bullet failure.

Short barrels can be advantageous when matched to an appropriate cartridge, bullet and powder. I've been using a 20", .300 WSM with my suppressor for the last few months without recording any drawbacks other than some loss of velocity. I have been competing with a 21", 6.5 GAP 4S (6.5 SAUM) for several years and recently with a suppressor. Just a little loss of velocity. But I tested a lot before making these decisions.

Do your homework then ask any questions you might have. This is a process which will be very beneficial when applied properly.

Enjoy!

:)

Welcome to the forum. Good advice to be mindful of here. When you start stretching out your shots on game there are so many factors that come into play. I personally prefer 7mm and 30 cal. pills, but totally understand this is a personal preference. Hunting suppressed is something I have not done in the past, but as soon as my suppressor is released from the ATF jail, I'm going to give it a try. Matching a barrel length, cartridge, and bullet along with the the necessary components is important, but nothing is more important than practice and observation. I will say there are some true experts on this forum that will make the journey easier, but will also help you empty you wallet…..

I'm in the short barrel crowd too. I'm currently in love with a .243Win on a Savage action. The barrel is 18 1/4." I absolutely love walking through the woods and NOT having a barrel hang up on every noisy limb I get near. It's a joy to me. So much so, that I care not one iota about velocity loss. It's still cruising along pretty darn well @3200fps.

I'm nowhere near as well-versed as the men and women here who have been shooting long range for years. Like you, I'm still very much learning--and practicing. I shoot every chance I get. Just the same as with a bow. You're playing the same game, just using a different set of tools.

That depends on your intended purpose. My .257 WBY budget build (https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/my-budget-257-wbty-build.276854/) has a 22" because I want it suppressed.

.257 WBTY scoped.jpg

.257 WBTY scoped and suppressed.jpg

Bolt3.jpg

Last edited:
My opinion is if you want as far a max point blank range (MPBR) as possible then you need velocity. A .257 Weatherby loaded with some light bullets going over 3700 fps (like an absolute hammer that some have gotten over 3900) would help you maximize an MPBR.
I do agree that one of the best investments you can have is a good laser range finder. 500 yards is a good poke out there, especially if you aren't used to it. It is not what most would consider long range (more like medium/moderate), but plenty far enough to miss any game animal due to drop and wind deflection if your range estimation is off. Get a range finder!

I for years used a 25/06 in Rem 721 with a 22" barrel. At that time the range finder were a piece of junk. I used a 2x7 Leupold duplex. I set and built target frames and target that match the deer from top of back to brisket. Set my targets @ 300, 400, and 500 yards. Learn to determine the yardage by how the animal filled the scope at 7 power. Learn where to hold on the animal and what yardage it was or close enough to make a killing shot. The only reason I don't use that rifle today is I am hunting in areas that I can hunt larger game like elk at the same time. You can get a 257Wb,Mag, but that's a lot of gun for under 500yds. Shot placement is the name of the game. 25/06 is easy on the shoulder too. Sorry at that time I didn't have chronographs, so I can't tell you what my velocity were. I determine my ranges and holds to make the shots. Done it several times at the 500yd mark.
Now day with the scopes and range finders, it has taken that out of the problem. You do need to use both and make sure you can dial in the correct setting to make the shot. It will take sometime at the range or somewhere where you can shoot at longer distances, to know how or what that rifle does.

My opinion is if you want as far a max point blank range (MPBR) as possible then you need velocity. A .257 Weatherby loaded with some light bullets going over 3700 fps (like an absolute hammer that some have gotten over 3900) would help you maximize an MPBR.
I do agree that one of the best investments you can have is a good laser range finder. 500 yards is a good poke out there, especially if you aren't used to it. It is not what most would consider long range (more like medium/moderate), but plenty far enough to miss any game animal due to drop and wind deflection if your range estimation is off. Get a range finder!
@Bravo 4 is right on. For the ranges you are wanting to hunt to, speed is king. The last rifle I had set up like you are doing was a 22" 280ai. It was capable of running our 140g Absolute Hammer at 3400 fps. With a max point blank range zero it was good to about 425y without holding off center mass and good to nearly 500y holding top of the back. I considered this combo good on the long range to about 800y.

Hello all,

First some back story.

I've been hunting like a bow hunter for so long I've neglected my abilities to shoot over 200 yards. Last 2 white tail were

Takes me to a recent axis hunt. Last year I saw none so I didn't know what to expect. This year I saw a bunch, they all hung out in the 350-500 yard range. Buck fever and poor judgement got the best of me and I let one fly thinking he was about 250 out with my .223. Saw the dirt splash at his feet. Went back and ranged the shot at 368! I've got a year to prep and I've decided I need a proper deer cartridge, as I don't want to miss another opportunity on a paid, once a year hunt.

I'm at 12 months on the wait for a dead air nomad LTI, this is a 8.5" inch or so suppressor. While I want to choose a flat shooting cartridge, I also don't want a 26" barrel with 8" of can on it.

So my question is, what cartridge will net me a sweet spot of a good MPBR and make sense in an 18-22 inch rifle? I want short but am willing to sacrifice my desire for short in order to get the performance I want.

I've been considering…

257 Robert's
25-06
6.5-284 norma
6.5 prc
257 weatherby

Am I being silly for wanting something other than 308 or 7mm 08 in a shorter barrel?
Jump on the .257 Wby Mag you won't be disappointed as a good all-around hunting rifle, I always went with the Weatherby Mk-V rifle its a great hunting combo. Buy enough scope, but... pick clarity over power and you'll be rocking it. Good luck Cheers Ps; yes 26" inch barrel.

Thanks for the replies.

I got in touch with Mack Brothers and ended up ordering a Evo 2 Stainless BDL short action with a magnum bolt face.

I believe this narrows things down for me cartridge wise. Looking into 6.5 prc and 6.8 western

Hello all,

First some back story.

I've been considering…

257 Robert's
25-06
6.5-284 norma
6.5 prc
257 weatherby

If your considering 25 cal bullets look into the 25sst. Pretty cool capable cartridge and Sherman wildcats offers headstamped ADG brass in it. Although I realize now saying that now you'll need to start handloading