starting load data for 338 Lapua using H1000 and Berger 300gr

57goldtopman

Help.

I am looking for the min/max load data for the 338 Lapua using Hodgdon H1000 and the Berger 300gr Elite Hunter bullets.
Berger lists 81-85.2gr. this range is much lower when compared to what others are using from reading online posts. seems like people are using loads in the 89-92gr range. I did contact Hodgdon but still have not heard back.

any one know anything different?

Thanks for any help.

Help.

I am looking for the min/max load data for the 338 Lapua using Hodgdon H1000 and the Berger 300gr Elite Hunter bullets.
Berger lists 81-85.2gr. this range is much lower when compared to what others are using from reading online posts. seems like people are using loads in the 89-92gr range. I did contact Hodgdon but still have not heard back.

any one know anything different?

Thanks for any help.
57goldtopman,
Please use our load data to start. The 338 ELITE HUNTERS are a long bullet with a longer than SAMMI spec nose dimension and MAY not be able to be seated to magazine length. We suggest you start at .015 off the lands and work back in .005 increments at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge you are testing for to find your seating depth accuracy node. Then work the load back up in 1/2 grain increments until you get to 2 grains below MAXIMUM then drop to 1/10th grain increments. All the while you will be chinking your accuracy and for pressure signs. This is done to find your velocity accuracy node. This node MAY repeat itself as you go up in charge weight. Depending on your ending seating depth you MAY be able to exceed our published maximum load. Our load data is purposely to the low side for safety due to the length of some of our bullets that may result in over pressure due to being closer to the lands than standard design bullets. Hope this helps!

57goldtopman,
Please use our load data to start. The 338 ELITE HUNTERS are a long bullet with a longer than SAMMI spec nose dimension and MAY not be able to be seated to magazine length. We suggest you start at .015 off the lands and work back in .005 increments at the lowest powder charge listed for the bullet/powder/cartridge you are testing for to find your seating depth accuracy node. Then work the load back up in 1/2 grain increments until you get to 2 grains below MAXIMUM then drop to 1/10th grain increments. All the while you will be chinking your accuracy and for pressure signs. This is done to find your velocity accuracy node. This node MAY repeat itself as you go up in charge weight. Depending on your ending seating depth you MAY be able to exceed our published maximum load. Our load data is purposely to the low side for safety due to the length of some of our bullets that may result in over pressure due to being closer to the lands than standard design bullets. Hope this helps!
one more thing 57goldtopman. The 82-92 grain range is the range that works for THEIR RIFLE! In you rifle these MAY be over pressure!

Hi Phil,

thanks for the info.

I loaded up a few, 3 rounds at each load, 0.4 load differences from minimum to max.

I attached a pic of the favorite load so far.

love it.

Attachments

• photo-11.jpg
    photo-11.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 701
Hi Phil,

thanks for the info.

I loaded up a few, 3 rounds at each load, 0.4 load differences from minimum to max.

I attached a pic of the favorite load so far.

love it.
57goldtopman,
Have you run this load over a chronograph yet? Looks good though.

I do not have a chrono to use. never used one. typically stay within load data perimeters and look for signs of pressure. to determine trajectory I just shoot at each distance and keep records of bullet drop.

love those Berger bullets.

no signs of pressure. in addition, these loads seemed to shoot smoother recoil wise as compared to firing the Sellier & Bellot 250gr match ammo. odd. but love it.
I am not trying to push the envelope speed wise, just looking for the most accuracy I can get.

I do have to say, that Lapua brass is well worth the extra$$. cases slide in/slide out. smooth. Sellier & Bellot a little difficult to extract.

also, I measured C.O.A.L. for my rifle. 3.82"
longest length which will fit in my box mag is 3.75"
that is the current length.

so about 0.07" off the lands.

working great so far.

I know it's an old thread, just tagging for later use! I didn't want to start a new thread on the same info. If anyone has new information to add, please do so.

Will be starting with:
300 GR Elite Hunter
H1000
Lapua Brass
Fed 215M Primers
Mag box is 3.825
I believe the reamer specs will allow somewhere around 3.88".

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.