Starting from scratch - First Lite or Kuiu?

Starting From Scratch - KUIU or First Lite

• KUIU

Votes: 78 50.3%
  • FIRST LITE

Votes: 30 19.4%
  • MIX OF BOTH

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • OTHER BRAND (LISTED IN COMMENTS)

Votes: 19 12.3%

• Total voters
There is only one brand and it's called SITKA don't waste your money on anything else. It's garbage
Love the Sitka supporters. I wear some Sitka, but it is no where the end all when it comes to outdoor hunting clothing. They all serve a purpose. I wear KUIU, Kryptek, Cabela's, Skre, Sitka, and a few more I can't remember right now. They all work, some better than others, but you are not going to die if you don't wear Sitka.

Most outfitters that I know in Canada wear Sitka because they get a 50% discount from the US price book which is a huge discount. That alone for me is a discouragement to look somewhere else. I have KUIU and Sitka (bought before I found out about the discounts) TBH I don't see a difference other than my personal preference. I hunt high-altitude sheep and elk.

People hate on Sitka cause of the price knowing full well it's the best there is.
Good stuff ain't cheep and cheep stuff ain't good.
Fan boy my ***. Sounds like you need to grow up and get a big boy job so you don't have to hate on people that are more well off than yourself.

People hate on Sitka cause of the price knowing full well it's the best there is.
Fan boy my ***. Sounds like you need to grow up and get a big boy job so you don't have to hate on people that are more well off than yourself.

I apologize if I offended you. My personal preference is to give business to companies that have decent mark-ups. If they sell at 50% price book that means they have at least 50% mark-ups. As far as I know, no company that has investors can sell at a loss without some serious explanations. There is no question that their products are good, but I just can't give them $500 for a pair of pants that I know they sell for $250 and still make a profit. That is just me.
Again I apologize if I offended you.

Thank you for the apology.
I also apologize about my harsh reply
We are all like minded people on here all enjoying the same hobbies

:rolleyes: Sitka does have some good gear, some that's just ok, and some that is exceptional. You actually sound like a fellow that just managed his first piece of quality gear that happened to be Sitka...so it's the BEST. There are a lot of outfits making great gear right now and they all have their strong suits. Of course good gear is very subjective to fit and type of use as well. To say Sitka is the best and all else is garbage is just ignorance or trolling. I still have duck hunting coats from Readhead and Herters that I like better than my Sitka Hudson for most of the season, but the Hudson is an amazing coat.

I am amused you can tell my income level by what I think of Sitka. You might be surprised. Without getting into a ****ing match, there is no one answer to any question when it comes to hunting gear. There are differences in people and how they regulate heat, there is also differences in hunting locations, differences in what people are willing to spend on said gear. Similar to hunting packs. Everybody has their opinion and some of them are worth reading about, but then you have the supporters like yourself who if you don't buy what they think is the best you are a second level outdoors man. I buy what I believe is a good value for my dollar and does the job I am looking for it to do. I have hunted with my gear for several days at -30 and was comfortable and I did not feel I was under dressed. So I say to each their own and best of luck with their purchases.

I've been using Sitka since the mothwing days. I tried FL and I had several pieces fail in the first two weeks. The last straw was when my new Obsidians started getting worn out knees inside the first week. FL told me it was "normal field use" and wasn't covered. I spoke to Sitka and told then about it. They said they'll fix or replace anything regardless if it's field use.

I use Kuiu for big game and Sitka for waterfowl. Both are outstanding in quality and function. In fairness, I have never tried any FL.

Well, I figured I would circle that wagons and follow up on my original post. I can see there was some contention and such and it seems gear talk can also turn into a Ford/Chevy discussion.

I went with Kuiu and their merino wool under layers and they performed flawlessly for the 10 days we were in the sticks. I was never cold, always dry and it was the little things like side thigh and underarm zippers that I really found myself liking a lot - lets the heat out. The merino really wicks moisture quickly and dries unbelievably fast.

Being able to zip off your long johns or puffy pants without having to remove your boots is a game-changer. I did go FL boxers because I scored them on discount and I have nothing negative to say about them The Kuiu carbon fiber pack was just awesome and capable of carrying much more than I can handle. The rest of the Kuiu gear (bino harness, gloves, etc) were just as top notch.

Socks - I went with Darn Tough out of Vermont. Hands down the best socks I have ever worn (wearing a pair right now). Not sure if it was the socks or my Crispi boots, or the combination thereof that I bought out here in Italy but not a blister to speak of. I simply cannot say enough great things about the Crispi boots.

MVP of the trip were the gaiters. I will never go hunting anywhere without a pair again.

I spent some coin on all of it, but I have it for life and am **** glad I bought once/cried once.

Last edited:
What about the GI issue layering system, ECWCS? Any love for them?
I've used it for over 20 years. It's worked well for me in pretty much all conditions. 40 deg to -36 deg. If it's wet or windy I have a set of Cabelas Gore-tex / wind stopper camo pants/coat. Goose and duck hunting from a ground blind I have snow covers. However most of my hunting is just the light ECWS base underwear and my Wrangler Riggs pants and my upland hunting coat or my plain brown Carharrt jacket.

I'm pretty simple though. I don't like spending a ton of money on clothes.

I'll add- One thing I will never get rid of- years ago Cabelas used to have down underwear- separate tops and bottoms. I think Northern Flight. Very packable. I have two sets and I will never sell them.

Last edited:
Sitka is probably what I wear most often but I like some of the SG stuff too. The Kuiu stuff is nice tho