Starting from scratch - First Lite or Kuiu?

Starting From Scratch - KUIU or First Lite

• KUIU

Votes: 78 50.3%
  • FIRST LITE

Votes: 30 19.4%
  • MIX OF BOTH

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • OTHER BRAND (LISTED IN COMMENTS)

Votes: 19 12.3%

• Total voters
Don't do the full matching jumpsuit thing.
Most of the high end companies make good stuff. But very rarely will one company have every piece fit and check off all the needs based boxes.
I wear 3-6 different manufactures on any given hunt/clothing combination. The patterns don't matter and matching doesn't matter.
Good fitting quality gear that works matters.

Try several tops bottoms pants jackets etc. Use your network of friends and borrow some stuff and try it on. Then purchase the pieces you like

Kuiu guy here too.
When you say "heading west to hunt", where and when?
For pronghorn/earlybarchery deer, or even fall desert hunts in AZ/NM when it is 70-110°+, the Kuiu Tiburon pants are a Godsend. Tiny air holes let every breath of wind in to cool you down. I wish they would make 100% cotton long sleeve Tees though, for warm/hot hunts.
20200930_195857.jpg

For late season, snow hunts, great layering system, waterproof options, stretch with movement, lined options, windproof, etc. Great packs too.

I got both Kuiu and FL stuff. I get 30% off for pro program on FL, so I have mostly FL. Some of the lighter weight Kuiu shirts seem a little more durable over time and wear. Love the FL Fusion pattern.

@lancetkenyon - Idaho in late October. Thats a hoss Speed Goat!

@BFD Guns I get the same discount on FL and one on Kuiu (not as good as FL though).

Thanks everyone for the comments and recommendations.
Thanks. That is my 2020 goat. I think I was wearing the same pants in 2018 & 2019 too. My lucky speedgoat pants!
20190819_112846.jpg

For late Oct Idaho, I would think you could be in cold weather (at least cold to an AZ guy). Guide pants with the Yukon Rain pant over is what I wear for late season deer and elk here in AZ. From -6° to 40°, kept me dry and warm(ish). Super down or Pro insulated and guide jacket have kept me warm. Add a Yukon rain jacket if real wet.
Lightweight, and layers for mixing active hiking with glassing for hours. I have a pair of lucky guide pants too.

I have sets of both Sitka and Kuiu. I originally started with Sitka, disliked their pant materials and fit but loved their tops and jackets. Switched over to Kuiu where their pants are amazing, especially the zip off baselayers. I also like their jackets better than Sitka. The tops are a wash IMO across the board. I also run the First Lite base layers which are great.

You can always find Sitka stuff on sale at the end of the year. Kuiu usually has sales periodically throughout the year and is typically cheaper given their business model.

You honestly can't go wrong with either.

Never owned first lite but the kuiu has been great, I like both the attack and guide pants. My favorite piece is the peloton 240 hoodie. I wear it almost every day. Best wishes. The guide pants get me down to 30-35 with a base. When it's colder than that I bring insulated bibs. I run pretty cold. Best wishes

I have many Kuiu items that I like rain gear pants jackets vests.Like the gloves.When quite cold I have some real nice King the Mtn I love.

I like different patterns for different hunts so I mix between kuiu and Sitka. I also have some heavier cabelas wooltimate stuff for stand hunting. On the mobile hunts though it's kuiu or Sitka. One other great thing about kuiu is the rewards program which I am at platinum level (shhh don't tell my wife) they offer insider sale prices and freebies and coupons. I got a free hat and a cool flask etc. I don't know of many other gear/clothing companies doing anything like that?!?

I prefer my First lite over any brand I've owned, I a large guy (6'4 -290ish) and they work well for me. Most other brands seem to be short in the arms or I can't lift my arms up without them looking like a belly shirt.