Starting from scratch - First Lite or Kuiu?

Starting From Scratch - KUIU or First Lite

• KUIU

Votes: 78 50.3%
  • FIRST LITE

Votes: 30 19.4%
  • MIX OF BOTH

Votes: 28 18.1%
  • OTHER BRAND (LISTED IN COMMENTS)

Votes: 19 12.3%

• Total voters

SixDemonBag

Heading West this year and have the opportunity to start from bare bones on my hunting clothing. Just as the title says if you were starting from scratch without considering price which company would be your choice?

I dropped a poll on here and would appreciate this forums input.

Grazie!

SDB

Packs are like optics, everybody has an opinion. I have tried several different packs and I settled on the KUIU. My main reason for the KUIU was the apex shoulder straps. I upgraded to the new pro suspension but ended up going back to the apex shoulder straps. I have packed meat in mine and find it to be comfortable with heavy loads. When it comes to the bags I like the layout. I have also used the Mystery Ranch and liked the layout, but I could not get the shoulder straps to fit me to the point they did not hurt after a couple hours even after I was in Bozeman at the MR factory and had them fit me. Some packs will not work for some people. Good luck in your search.

I'm a fan of several clothing brands including First lite, Kuiu, Sitka, Stone Glacier and Beyond clothing. Really can't go wrong with anything from those brands for a western hunt IMO. I have run a lot of the first three and love the kuiu attack pants for an all around and Sitka ascent pant for warm weather. For some reason I have ended up with first lite base layers and puffy layer, but I doubt you could go wrong with any as long as they fit right. Recently started getting into Beyond and Stone glacier clothes and they are definitely worth a look, I'll be replacing some of my kit from both of those brands.

First lite all the way! I have darn near every garment they have to offer, I spend close to 1/3 of my days per year in the outdoors. I really like how they fit, especially having a long torso - the upper garments fit great. They are THE gold standard in my opinion! Rain gear is TOP NOTCH. Not to mention the excellent customer support/service. I like the small company feel.

Last edited:
Kuiu here too. Their clothing is so much more comfortable and finished better than Sitka in my opinion ( I do like Sitka base layers though). I also love the Icon pro pack system. The bags are well laid out and the suspension is awesome. I wear a Filson hat and seldom wear gloves so no input there. I like Crispi and Kenetrek boots about the same to hunt in, but when it comes to packing in or out I have found no peer to the Kenetrek Mountain Guide.

I think you won't go wrong with any of those company's. I personally wear Kuiu due to them constantly keeping up with the times on all of there products. There warranty process is top notch if you ever had to use it.

See if you can try on each. Depending on your height, weight, back shape, etc. the pack that 80% of the people here say is the greatest will feel terrible when you're on the mountain. The fore mentioned packs are wonderful; I use an LL Bean.

Prego, ciao!