Starter Sheep

backyardsniper

I used to not really have an interest in sheep hunting, to the point that I actually wondered why people seem to get so excited about it, but after going to Wyoming last year on an elk hunt and seeing that country and the sheep and then taking a trip to Kodiak this past March to help a friend on a bear hunt and seeing the goats there I have developed a real urge to hunt a sheep or mountain goat. So my question is where do you start? I live in Kentucky so obviously not here ha ha. All I ever see about sheep hunting is how hard it is to draw a tag. Is there anywhere that it is reasonably easy to draw a tag or is there a particular species that is easier to draw? I'm definitely not interested in shooting a ram on some kind of canned high fence hunt. That does not interest me at all, so where would a guy start to try to get into sheep and goat hunting. Also, what tags should a guy start putting in for now in order to be able to draw some good tags in the future?

I can speak for Alaska hunting. Dall sheep and Mountain Goats. Non residents are required to employ the services of a professional hunting guide for both species in Alaska. Only exception is if you have a close relative (within 1st degree of kindred) who is a resident in Alaska. Then you could hunt with that relative without having to hire a guide.

There are general season hunts available without submitting to a lottery style permit. Now the bad news... Guided sheep hunt will likely be more than $10,000 in guide fee alone. Not sure about a Mt Goat hunt, but I suspect a reduced cost for Goat.

I would suggest going to one of the big hunting shows/conventions in Jan. and Feb. 2016. Wild Sheep Foundation, SCI and Grand Slam/Ovis would top the list. Their websites offer lots of helpful info.

A lot of good goat hunts, and they're generally much cheaper than sheep. States are all draw, and Provinces are guided.

Auodad can provide a great hunt at a reasonable price. I have seen a lot of them offered for less than $5000. Texas has a lot of them. Several other sheep species are also available on some of the high fence ranches. Auodad can be darn spooky and provide a great hunt. Bruce

I think MT still has unlimited sheep tags but the success is terribly low and the sheep are hard to find I guess.

Auodad are often NOT really farmed. I first mentioned Auodad because hunts start under $5K. They are very wary when hunted and are often hunted on large ranches. Like over 20,000 acres which is almost 20 square miles. It is a challenge. You won't be sitting in a blind. It will be spot and stalk in some rough country.
If that is not for you then I'll make a couple of other suggestions. Like mentioned a Dall sheep in Alaska or NW territories. Usually about $12-20K. Stone sheep have gotten a bit out of hand in my mind. $30-40K. Desert Bighorn in Mexico can be done for $25-40K. Montana does have a general hunt unit that closes when the quota is killed. I think that the quota is usually 2. Have to ck on that to be sure. Success rate is under 10% on that one. To draw a tag is tough. Idaho has some areas where the draw odds are under 20:1 so you could get lucky there......
Or try an adventure. I can show you a hunt in Kyrgyzstan for Siberian Ibex for $4800. One of the best value adventure hunts out there. The outfitter is well rated too. I have been to Kyrg 2 times so yes it is safe. 4 different species of Ibex in Spain. Lots of good hunts there. Saw some hunts sold at the SCI auction last winter pretty cheap. Under $6K. Or try hunting a Tur in Azerbaijan. I have seen hunts for them for under $10K.
Best of luck. Bruce

If that's the case the aoudad business might not be too bad. Texas is considerably closer to where I live and I am definitely not interested in dropping 20-40 grand on a sheep. I was just afraid the texas aoudad was like the high fence deer hunting has gotten to be here in ky. At the $5000 mark and it being a reasoable driving distance from where I live I may have to check it out. Although the ibex in Spain would be a very neat trip. I'll probably pass on any of the fill in the bank-a-stan countries. I got enough of the third world life style while I was in Iraq.

I do have to admit though the Siberian ibex would be one heck of an adventure. That might be something I would be seriously interested in looking into. What is the ballpark figure on that trip with airfare and all the expenses that go along with that? Is there much as far as hidden fees or extra cost or are ypu pretty much looking at the hunt plus palne ticket and getting your trophy home?

I do have to admit though the Siberian ibex would be one heck of an adventure. That might be something I would be seriously interested in looking into. What is the ballpark figure on that trip with airfare and all the expenses that go along with that? Is there much as far as hidden fees or extra cost or are ypu pretty much looking at the hunt plus palne ticket and getting your trophy home?
Usually the hunt cost for Siberian Ibex in Kyrg covers the bulk of it. I paid a little over $100 for a meet and great to get me and the rifle through customs. Tired after 30 hrs of travel and it's really nice to sit in a VIP lounge and let someone else deal with customs..... Check your agreement to see who pays for the hotel before/after the hunt. If you tag out early then I'd stay in the hills. Usually if you go back to town early. The hotel/food is on you. At camp the outfitter takes care of you. I brought my Ibex back with me as luggage. Charge for 1 more piece of luggage is a lot less than shipping to you later. My last trip was a Marco Polo/Ibex combo. I spent 9 days on a small horse at elevations from 10,000 to 14,000. Ft. Didn't see a tree in 9 days. PM me if you want some info on the hunt for an Ibex that has been posted elsewhere. Bruce

Aoudad would be a great hunt and contrary to what most think they are a very tough hunt if hunted free range and in far west Texas where there are actual mountains, cliffs, etc. I have guided many that have said it is the hardest sheep hunt they have every been on- which they have been on several.

You can find some quality Aoudad hunts in the $3000 to $3500 range with a little searching. $5,000 is on the upper end. Or you can go self guided for much cheaper.

I offer a few hunts every year and would be glad to provide you more info if needed.

Good luck getting a bighorn sheep in MT in an unlimited zone. You had better be there two weeks in advance and have a legal ram in your cross hairs opening morning. Plus, the unlimited zones are tough hunts. Yet...if you put in the time may be possible. BTW, west TX aoudad hunts are seldom high fence. Better get yourself in good shape for hunting Barbary sheep in west TX. Mountain goat hunts in the west Canada provinces offer a true adventure. For these hunts a person had better be in good to excellent condition and NOT be afraid of heights. I took a darn good Billy in NW MT in 2011 and it kicked my old butt at age 64. It took me seven yrs. to draw a resident tag. I have 11 bonus points in MT for bighorn sheep. I am a realist and doubt I will draw. Another option would be to hunt Himalayin Tahr in New Zealand. No high fence at 8000 feet. MTG

I shot a Goat in CO a few years back. First goat hunt ever, by myself, public land! Shot a 8 7/8" goat! I drew the first year I was in the drawing (year four). It was a nanny only tag but if that doesn't bother you it was awesome! Let me know if you want some more info.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 120
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts