Started swaging my own bullets here is 500 yd group

kweidner

I have been casting for years for my handguns and wanted to be able to make my own bullets for my many .223 chamberings. I ordered a set of dies from Corbin and started swaging my own 6s ogive .224 fodder. The cool thing is I can make anything from 45 grain to 80. I am using jackets made from spent rimfire casings. I am casting cores from stick on wheel weights and am having wonderful success.
I found a load ladder testing for my .223 last weekend. Today I was able to get them out to 500 and hold around .75 MOA. I had to come up with my own bc based on my actual drops, temperature and speed,over the chrony. I came up with .155 based upon my range results today.
Although it is a rather low bc these are only 50.8 gr bullets. I was trying to mimic the success I have had with that rifle and the little nosler 50 gr and Watson 52 gr. I figured I would split the difference and shoot for 51 grains.
After a trip to a local range and picking up all the spent rf cases I could find, I came home and sorted through them and threw out all the ones with either holes in the rim or bent mouths. From there they go into a vinegar and dishwasher detergent boiling bath to clean spotless. I use an old herters model 0 set to swaging position to de rim the case and make it into a jacket. I am annealing brass in my oven on the self clean cycle after de-rimming. From there, I cast my cores to drop around 40.7 gr. I match cores to brass and from here I seat the cores into the jackets. Next step is to point form and polish.
The pictures I am about to post were my first made. I didn't let them tumble enough to get them super shiny. I now tumble the finished bullet for 24 hrs before loading and they come out looking like new brass. See pictures below for the 500 yd group today. Speed was ave 3164 with a 40 es for a 20 shot string. I will post some more on different replies for the process. Load is 25.5 gr h335 br primer seated .002 off lands. Group is 3.69" ctc. This is an older M77mkII with a custom trigger and stock. It is still a sporter though.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 108
Very nice and interesting btw. I turn my own 50 cal sabots for the wuzzlemoaders for myself and friends. I've developed a sabot that actually looks like a normal boat tailed projectile. I'm wanting to increase effective range past 250 yards with a CVA Accura V which is what all of us shoot.

It's a bit tedious even with a CNC lathe.

Here is the whole process in picture form. Sorry about the camera it is my cell phone and I need to replace some bulbs in my loading room. Left to right cleaned case, de-rimmed case, casted core, seated core in annealed case, point formed finished bullet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 127
here it is from the top view. Top is casted core 40.8 grains, middle is seated core, bottom is hollow point from top.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 105
Here are the finished bullets in RP cases. flash hole deburred, primer pocket uniformed, neck turned, loaded 25.5 gr H335 seated .002 off lands. This is before I was tumbling the finished boolit for 24 hrs. You are seeing the discoloration from the anealling in the self clean cycle in the oven.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 109
Here is the 100 yd group. This is the ave. I have shot them as small as .25 MOA. they usually hover between .5 and .75. I just wanted to see if this was possible with rimfire jackets and casted cores. Nothing like free bullets with the way things are recently. :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 106
That's pretty cool. Looks like a lot of work. But hey, .224 bullets aren't growing on trees these days either. It looks a little advanced for me right now but I think I would like to try this in the future. Thanks for sharing the info.

True it is a bit of work but I am not dependent on current stock and I can customize my weights from 45 grains to 80ish. That in and of itself makes it worth it. It is nice being able to make 20 or so to see how they fly and if a particular gun likes the certain weight. It adds another variable for experimentation considering you can tailor bullet weight to the tenth of a grain. I will no longer have boxes of partially use bullets under my bench.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.