Start up cost

gonewest

I am just wondering how much it would initialy cost me to get started to reload. I don't shoot alot but I can't find the 140 gr. Nosler partioner in a .270 factory load. Also I just bought a 222 Rem. Mag and have a feeling the cost and the availability of ammo will warrant me to reload. It doesnt have to be exact but a good ballpark number. thanks

So far Im only out $750-800, but you can start for HALF that give or take depending on brands,and amount of equipment needed. Kit vs pick and choose etc. Kinda depends how exterme you want to start at.

Single Stage Kits run $350 Hornady- $330 RCBS- down to $130 for Lee. The problemb with a kit, IMO, is you wind up getting rid of most of it, and upgrade.

I love my Lock-n-Load, but theres 1000000000000's of opinions on presses and brands, Kinda Chevy vs Ford vs Dodge etc.....
Some guys here use presses Ive never seen, only hered of, for LONG cases and such.
Might want to check craigs list or something and find some quality stuff(new/used) for less.

Good place to start would be this. It has most everything you need to start.
Amazon.com: RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit Md: 09357: Sports & Outdoors

Lee Reloading manual.

Then just add what you need as you go.

I would add these to start:
Lee hand primer Lee Precision, Inc. Reloading Tools and Equipment: Priming Tools and Shellholders
Lee case trimmers Lee Case Trimmer Cutter and Lock Stud - MidwayUSA
Good digital caliper

Good to have but not have to haves:
Stoney point OAL guages
Tumbler

Willys46

I am just wondering how much it would initialy cost me to get started to reload. I don't shoot alot but I can't find the 140 gr. Nosler partioner in a .270 factory load. Also I just bought a 222 Rem. Mag and have a feeling the cost and the availability of ammo will warrant me to reload. It doesnt have to be exact but a good ballpark number. thanks

Just figured Id add that Cabellas offers Federal ammo in .270Win 150gr Nosler Partitions., so im sure Midway, Sportsmans, and Bass pro would too. Not 140's but its as close as I could find.

Heres a helpfull hint I forgot to mention earlier. Buy a Loading book like Hornady's 7th Edition, and read it. It explains the loading proscess on detail as good or better than any manual out there. Also(even if you dont buy anything) get the Cabellas shooting catalogue(its free) and look at the pics of all kinds of different tools etc, and decide what you direction wnat to go. Pics always help me understand easier than just ''hearing'' about them.

A lot depends on if you go new or used. Generally, you can pick up used reloading equipment for 50% - 75% of new cost. Also searching the web for the cheapest components and utilizing groupbuys for bigger $$$ stuff helps out as well. For most long-time reloaders, the cost gets lost in the 1,000's of rounds you shoot. We probaly don't save anything - we just shoot that much more for the same price as factory. Besides, it's hard to fine tune a rifle with factory ammo. If you decide to go down that road, I have a set of RCBS .222 dies I can sell you. :)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.