Starline Brass - Primer Pockets TIGHT!!

YZ-80

Is it just me or has anyone found the primer pockets with Starline brass really tight? I was having pretty good luck with this brass in .223 and 6.5 CRDM but I got some in .308 and even after uniforming them it was taking all I could do to seat them. Some of them pancaked a little but I've had this happen with Lapua brass (CCI 450 Magnum Primers & 6.5 Lapua) in the past as well to no real ill effect. Still, I just about developed carpel tunnel syndrome by the time I got 25 of them seated. I was using Federal 210s this time around. Hopefully, they will loosen up after first firing?

Yes. I load for a .358 Winchester in Starline brass and I experienced the same. The ones on the second firing have loosened up quite a bit, but not so much to cause concern.

Just yesterday had first reloading session with my son, he did well and loaded up a bunch of loads he uses for deer. We were using Starline brass for first time for his 308, he's right strong and I noticed he was having some trouble with the hand primer tool. I tried one and wow they are tight, using cci br-2 and they fit snug. Seems to be OK brass otherwise, long as we get 4-5 reloads before pockets get loose. I use a ball bearing just the right size and close em' up some if they go to quick. Saw on one of the threads and it works good. Dave

Just yesterday had first reloading session with my son, he did well and loaded up a bunch of loads he uses for deer. We were using Starline brass for first time for his 308, he's right strong and I noticed he was having some trouble with the hand primer tool. I tried one and wow they are tight, using cci br-2 and they fit snug. Seems to be OK brass otherwise, long as we get 4-5 reloads before pockets get loose. I use a ball bearing just the right size and close em' up some if they go to quick. Saw on one of the threads and it works good. Dave
Yeah, I have some CCI 200's and WLR Large Rifle primers on hand too but only I use them in my SKS, AK and M1 cause they are a bit less soft than the Federal 210's and less prone to slam fires. I use exclusively 210 and 210M's on almost all of my "long-range" rifles.

Yeah with all my guns it's Fed 210M's or CCI BR-2's they just are more consistent. I do have a crazy 22-250 that won't shine without winchester brass and WLR primers, go figure.

Just loaded some new Nosler brass with very tight pockets. Hope they open a bit after firing.

Just loaded some new Nosler brass with very tight pockets. Hope they open a bit after firing.
Well after the first firing, the pockets on the 308 brass are "firm" but nowhere near how tight they were on the first go around.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.