standard versus match grade reloading dies?

str8flite

I was flipping through the Midway catalog and noticed that they sell RCBS gold medal match reloader dies for about $150 per pair compared to the $30 pair of standard dies.

What is the difference between these two? Would I gain any advantage by using the match style dies?

I was flipping through the Midway catalog and noticed that they sell RCBS gold medal match reloader dies for about $150 per pair compared to the $30 pair of standard dies.

What is the difference between these two? Would I gain any advantage by using the match style dies?

and at $150 they still won't be as good as a set of standard Forster C0-AX dies
gary

Well, they have a neet little side loading window in the seater so you can put bullets in there instead of at the bottom and I assume they still come in a really attractive fitted wood box. Other than that they are basically about equal to Hornady's. Lotta money for a neet little side window and a wood box tho.

Be a cold day in hades before I would pay anywhere near that for a lesser die than Forsters.

The RCBS Gold Medal dies are actually very high quality. They are my preferred dies for 1000 yard benchrest competition. I use the full length bushing die not the bushing neck only sizing die.
I have Redding competition die sets also but prefer the Gold Medal dies.

James

The RCBS Gold Medal dies are actually very high quality. They are my preferred dies for 1000 yard benchrest competition. I use the full length bushing die not the bushing neck only sizing die.
I have Redding competition die sets also but prefer the Gold Medal dies.

James

only folks I've ever been around that shot serious 1000 yard competetion used either Forster or Redding dies with a Forster press (several of them)
gary

"The RCBS Gold Medal dies are actually very high quality."

I agree the quality of the external appearance is quite high and not doubt that is reflected in the price... but $150 worth of shiney metal, neat knurling and pretty wood boxes is quite a bit of eye candy.

Anyway, the mechanical difference, IMHO, is RCBS' short, loosely fitted bullet guide sleeve design isn't in the same league as the Forster and Redding full body sleeve-straight line type seaters. And they both sell for signicantly less.

Last edited:
Most other folks I know who shoot 1000yd BR and win use Redding FL bushing dies and Wilson seating dies. If anyone I shoot competition with is using Forster dies I'm not aware of it. Since you brought it up I am a little curious how many people use Forster for serious LR competition.
Just because one doesn't follow the herd doesn't mean they are on the wrong path though.

Boomtube,
Aesthetics means nothing when it comes to reloading dies, all that matters is the ability to make reliable consistent ammo, whether it is for competition or hunting, especially long range hunting which is what this forum is about. That is what I meant by the quality of the Gold Medal dies not how they look.

Actually for some of the wildcats I shoot in competition, I made my own bushing resize dies and sleeves for the Gold Medal seating die but only because it wasn't directly available from RCBS.

James

"Boomtube, Aesthetics means nothing when it comes to reloading dies, all that matters is the ability to make reliable consistent ammo, whether it is for competition or hunting, especially long range hunting which is what this forum is about. That is what I meant by the quality of the Gold Medal dies not how they look."

Good. I'm sure you know that a lot of people DO judge a book by it's cover and dies by smooth, shiney surfaces and clean knurling.

I base my comments on measuring the output from a few dozen dies of different makes and calibers. I have found the Reddings and Forsters to be equal but I obviously haven't tested them all. Nor, point of fact, have I measured the output from the high cost RCBS dies at all, neither I nor anyone I could borrow them from are willing to pay for the things! I have examined the designs tho, and judge what I see in view of what I learned with others. I really don't think there is enough difference in sizers, per se, to make a difference between brands. I do like the expander results from Forster, Lee's FL and neck/collet and Lyman's M dies. I dispise all ball ttype expanders because they invariably bend necks a little during withdrawal.

In my tests, I didn't find ANY average improvement in short sliding bullet alignment sleeves over more conventional seaters. Yeah, the short guide sleeves do, or may, make it a little easier to put bullets in place but they don't come close to the improvement Forster/Redding's full length sleeves and straight line seating accomplishes. They, and they alone, replicate hand seating dies.

So, since you have machinest skills and the dies too, I wonder how many of those sets you have used, have you gaged the concentricity of the average cartridges from your dies and, if so, what differences did you find over the Reddings? In other words, since it isn't appearance, why do you say RCBS GM dies are superiour?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.