Standard primers in magnum cartridges?

Ckleeves

The 28 Nosler primer thread got me thinking a bit. Has anybody had first hand experience with standard primers failing in magnum cartridges? I have often found my best loads with either 210M's or BR2's in several magnum cartridges. In a picky 28 nosler BR2's cleaned up ES fairly dramatically. Been loading 210Ms in the 300 WM for several years with no issues.

Am I looking for trouble and it just hasn't happened yet?

Double base ball powders have more deterrent coatings than single base powders and a magnum primer should be used.

Even military 5.56 Lake City ammo uses magnum primers that also help in cold weather.

So even if you use a single base powder and if you hunt in very cold weather magnum primers are added insurance.

Remington ran Lake City from 1941 until 1985 and used their 9 1/2 and 7 1/2 primers to light off Winchester double base ball powders. Look at the photos at the link below, I cheat and use Remington primers with every type powder I load.

Primer Flash Test Photos
http://www.6mmbr.com/primerpix.html

I have used standard primers in a few magnum sized cases with no issues.
I even tried WLR/Fed210 in 416 Rigby/500NE 3 1/4", 505 Gibbs without a single hangfire.
I wouldn't try it with a ball powder in very large cases or cold weather, that's probably just asking for a hang fire situation.

Cheers.
:)

In the really big magnums, i.e., like the 378 and 460 Weatherby Magnums I only use Federal 215 primers. For my 7mm Remington Magnum loads, I use Federal 210M primers. I use magnum primers for 257 & 300 Weathery Magnum loads, for 300 Win. Mag. loads & 458 Lot loads but I probably wouldn't need to.

For 357 Herrett loads, I use CCI 250 primers with IMR 4227. It's not a big cartridge and it's not a ball powder but I got the best accuracy with that combination.

As for having to use magnum primers with ball powders, I doubt it. I've always ignored that rule and have never had a problem.

I let ES and accuracy to a lesser extent determine primer choice. Many times I find a non magnum primer gives lower ES which is all I care about when hunting past 800 yds.

If I do not know it will fire in sub zero conditions, I will NOT load it. That said, up to about 70 grains of single base powder can be lit with a standard primer.
Keep in mind that not all standard primers are equal, with win being a bit hotter than fed, cci, or rem.. I'd rather hit it a bit too hard and use a mag primer instead of a standard... You can still get accuracy and decent es, etc. "over-ignited" but I dare you to hit something with a bullet lodged in the barrel.

Is it really worth it, so much buildup goes into a hunting trip and a failed primer at the wrong time will make you wish you hadn't chanced it.

I use mag primers in a lot of standard loads and always in mag calibers. I have always had really great accuracy with CCI250s and CCI450s. I also don't want to take the chance of having a monster in my cross hairs on a really cold day and hearing CLICK -------------- Boom or just poof.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts