Standard Nosler Accubond question.

I have shot a good number of elk and mule deer with the 140 Accubonds starting at 3350 fps. I've recovered a half dozen bullets. I've recovered 2000ish fps impacts from soft dirt after broadside lungs shots on deer that were barely open. I've had impact in the 200 yard range on elk broadside hight shoulder literally blood shot from neck to tail bone and recovered a small ball of the base of the bullet.
I've seen a couple 180's and one 200 gr not make it to vitals in close hit on elk through the shoulder and not open in the 850 yard range from 300 Wins and WBY.
Not a bad bullet but not as versatility as they get credit for IMO. I've picked quite a few of them out if animals I've been cutting that were exiting backwards and the mushroom catches on the hide, I thing they need a higher twist rate to try to keep them stable in the animal and open better.

These last two posts add balance to some of the "not so positive" experiences shared earlier. But no telling how long this dearth of factory ammo ( Weatherby 270 accubond) will last - perhaps I need to get going on a new set of dies. Anyone have experience with load combos for the 270 weather by mag? If you have knowledge, especially with Swift As I would be grateful to read.
I bought 1 box of 150 partitions but may regret it down the road.

I don't think you'll ever regret 150 Partitions in a 270 anything!

Not near the same caliber but I have had awesome success on elk with my 340 and 250gr partitions. 15 for 15 one shot kills I had one big bull in wyoming I shot at about 465 yds take two step quiver and tip over. The longest I have shot an elk is 615yds and it was complete pass thru ribs on impact taking out opposite front leg dropped stone dead. I shoot deer with accubonds and have had great success as well. 110 gr out of my 257 WTBY all DRT...

In not way shape or form is a partition a good long range choice for bullets, great bullet for its application but long range and the bottom of it's opening velocity is not where their happy. Cutting wild game I dug a LOT of Partitions that were so perfect you could fire them again!!

In not way shape or form is a partition a good long range choice for bullets, great bullet for its application but long range and the bottom of it's opening velocity is not where their happy. Cutting wild game I dug a LOT of Partitions that were so perfect you could fire them again!!

no kidding. What do you think the minimum window is with most Partitions is. Love the intel, I've always thought the Partition was pretty soft up front and barely have found much left of the frontal area from 0-600 yards roughly.

I do agree. It isn't a LR bullet.

no kidding. What do you think the minimum window is with most Partitions is. Love the intel, I've always thought the Partition was pretty soft up front and barely have found much left of the frontal area from 0-600 yards roughly.

I do agree. It isn't a LR bullet.
Ive dropped elk up to 600 yards with them and they performed perfectly.
That was with 140's at about 3150 mv.

What's the furthest you have successfully taken an animal with standard Nosler accubond? It says they expand reliably down to 1800 fps. Has anyone ever taken an animal at extended ranges, around that 1800 fps Mark? If so, how did it perform? I understand there are multiple "long range" projectiles on the market and not saying I don't use those, I'm just asking to see your experiences, as I know there's tons upon tons of real world experience on this forum. Thanks
A running bull elk at 250 yards.

Not near the same caliber but I have had awesome success on elk with my 340 and 250gr partitions. 15 for 15 one shot kills I had one big bull in wyoming I shot at about 465 yds take two step quiver and tip over. The longest I have shot an elk is 615yds and it was complete pass thru ribs on impact taking out opposite front leg dropped stone dead. I shoot deer with accubonds and have had great success as well. 110 gr out of my 257 WTBY all DRT...

I'd drive from Mississippi to Oregon to pick up some 120-125gr Accubonds in .257

I load AB's in 3 other guns already and have absolutely nothing negative to say about them, at moderate ranges on deer and pigs.

Please, Nosler..????

Recent Posts