Standard 270 win

Thanks everyone for your info.ive decided I'm now on the hunt for a 270 wsm or 270 win bolt action.i will continue to use my grandfather old rifle in memory of him but I would like to have a bolt action to tinker with also the only thing about the 270 win that was my grandfather I've noticed it's hard on brass and I've lost a few already but that's just due to it being a 7400 semi auto I did order a brass catcher for it so well see how that gos

Four 270 win myself plus the family has a bunch.

116gr absolute hammer reaches 3400fps in 22 inch barrel and 3500 in 24 inch barrel.

Here's my first few shots from my brand new kimber. Teal slash was clean bore. View attachment 278664

Good shooting, the 117's perk really well in my NULA/24"/#2. But 3300 is the end of the line for me speed wise.

Would love to see the pressure data on the [email protected] suspect you have but have you clocked this load on more than one day? Can you keep the primer pockets tight for 5+ loadings?

Good shooting, the 117's perk really well in my NULA/24"/#2. But 3300 is the end of the line for me speed wise.

Would love to see the pressure data on the [email protected] suspect you have but have you clocked this load on more than one day? Can you keep the primer pockets tight for 5+ loadings?
I've shot it from 30-70 degrees and been pretty consistent.

I haven't reloaded more than 2 firings yet.

Plan on learning more as fall comes along. Fishing season now!!!

Will let you know how mine works out as soon as I get the dang triggerguard screws I put away so I wouldn't lose them!🤬
Okay sounds good and they'll turn up.i know it sucks loosing something you put up not to loose though.your build does sound like it's going to be a good one for sure

I wanted to remage in 6.8 western...found out quickly that very few barrel makers are offering a fast twist .277 barrel...standard is 1-10 and only a few offer a 1-8...guess everyone will start producing fast twists if the 6.8 western catches on...time will tell...
McGowan makes .277 barrels in 1:8 and 1:7 twists. Have a couple of them, one in 375 and another in 6.5. Both very accurate.

I don't have my old load info, but it was either imr4831 or imr4320 with Sierra 130Spbt at 3.200ish" if I remember correctly. Powder charge?

Last edited:
I know I replied to this thread many weeks ago, but I must add my opinion on this last point. I agree with Mr. Rope!!! I think it is silly and even irresponsible to recommend the 6.5 Creed for Elk at 1000 yards. Making steel p[lates ring at 1000 ,Sure; Punching holes in paper at 1000 ,Sure. Hitting soda cans at 1000 yards, yes!!! Killing big animals, Not a good idea. IMHO It was very hard to write this response and not use the "E " word!!!!

I have a Model 70 in .270 Win. When out of California, I use plain old 130 gr Corlokts. In California, I load a 140 gr Barnes TSX over 43 gr of 4350. I killed a hog at 350 yards with it... A solid load.
that seems like a pretty mild load, almost dangerous, should that powder charge be 53g?

Used 150gr flat nose Core-lokt for a great long time and blood trails were not a problem. I've had great luck with 130 grain Fusions as well. Once I started loading I went to 130 VLDs and now I have switched back to 150gr SSTs and Accubond LRs.

In a magazine fed, gas operated whitetail deer gun I would just go with a proven 270 combo of H4831 or IMR4831 under a soft 130grain bullet. I wouldn't spend money on high end bullets in that set up either but that just me - SST, interbond, or something similar. If you go with a 150gr bullet I have had great success with RL23 lately.