Standard 270 win

I have a custom Elite Accuracy based on a Sako action. I've been using 117 g Hammer Hunters, with 58 g of Reloader 16, CCI larger rifle primer, pushing 3350 with zero pressure signs and excellent accuracy. It was an easy load to develop, with the bullet seated .030 off the lands and 58 g it just all came together like a rainbow out of a unicorn's hind end.

In my safe there are many rifles but if I had to pick one out of the bunch it would be my old Sako .270 Win. I've shot 130 grain bullets over the years settling in the Barnes tsx about 15 years ago or so. This rifle had never failed to produce from headshot cottontails to moose. Use H4831 as my powder. It's just a great caliber.

I'm running 150 grain Berger vld with 55 grain h4831sc. It's not too fast at 2800 fps but so accurate. Easily under .5 moa out of my old savage 110. It's taken antelope at 420 with exit. Also I've shot steel out to 600 yards. I'm thinking about play with some rl26. I do run the same load in three different rifles. It does well in all. That bullet seems to like .010-.015 jump.

My Grandpa left me a Sako L61 270 win. He used to kill all his mule deer and elk with it. Had a pet load using 57 grains of H4831 and 150 grain Nosler Partition's. Shoots 5 shot groups at 100 yds you can cover with a nickel. My son killed his first 7 bucks 10 hogs with it. All pass thru shots. 50 to 430 yds. I took it away from him last year and got him a 6.5 Creedmoor. He's killed 3 bucks with the Creed. After we tracked his mule deer for a quarter mile on spotty blood he said Dad can I have great Grandpa's 270 back? ha ha I told him you have to center punch the lungs with a Barnes TSX or they're gonna run a ways. California lead free bullets is the reason I took the ol 270 away. I didn't want to copper foul that L61 but now I'm thinking of using Hammers and letting him continue to hunt with it. We don't shoot over 500 yds with copper anyways. If the barrel dies I'll put an 8 twist on it. 270 win is a hell of rifle cartridge!

I have a Model 600 CZ BRNO in .270. We represented Action Arms out of Philadelphia in the early '90's the first importers of the Brand.

Don't shoot any hot loads in your semi they are not recommended at all.

Hello all here lately with the new 6.8 western coming out and all the new .277 cal bullets out (if you can find them) I was wondering who all still uses the old standard 270 win? I have one that I'm starting load work with that was left to me by my late grandfather and I will be hopefully using it this deer season some it is a remington 7400 woodsmaster that he bought new in the 80s and it was my first hunting rifle.anyways just wondering who all still uses this caliber and what are some pet loads you may have and would 400 yards and in be good range for this I know one of my farthest kills on a deer was right at 350 with this very rifle.the only reason I quit using a 270 win was not big exit holes and no blood trail if needed with the ammo we use to use.has any one else had this problem in the 270 and if so how did you over come it that is my main worry with using a 270 again and for the past 8 years I've only used 308 or 30-06 and 35 rem.also how does the 270 stack up against the newer main stream calibers that are out today.ive have actually been looking to purchase a bolt action in 270 win or 270 wsm just to mess around with some and can you really have to many guns haha.i would like to here some good insite in this old caliber though and maybe re light the old fire I once had for the 270 win thanks and God bless
270 is a great cartridge.

I have fired exactly 1 round at game with a 270win and dropped 1 deer with it... I wasn't even my rifle either. I had my rifle slung over my shoulder and was holding mybrother'sm70 in 270 as he was field dressing a deer when one popped out for me. I asked him if the rifle had rounds in the mag., he said yes, and I pulled up and dropped the deer. That's pretty much the 270in a nutshell; it isn't the latest or greatest, but it'll put meat in the freezer if you do your part.

I'm a die hard 270 Win fan!!!! I have two sporting rifles and heavy barrel target rifle, all in 270 Win. ( and a 270 Weatherby Mag for Far away shooting ) My Weatherby Ultra-light ,24 inch barrel ,in 270 Win. with a Leupold Vari X 3 2.5 X to 8X scope is my #1 "Go to" Whitetail Deer Rifle. I have used 59.7 grns of H 4831 , in matched Light Win Cases , with Win LR primers , and the Nosler 130 Grn Ballistic Tips for over 10 years . Muzz. Velocity approx. 3050 fps. Never an exit hole, ever !!! I have only taken 8 deer with this combo of rifle and scope and load, and only one ever required a second shot. Completely my fault for jumping out of the blind and running to where I shot it, It got up and bounded off, and laid down again in a ravine a few yards away and I had to shoot again. For the farm hunting of deer I do mostly, the 270 Win, is always my first choice. At my age, I would limit my range to 300 yards max with this set up, however a younger man , with better eyes , would be able to take an ethical shot at 400 yards, with a high degree of confidence. I occasionally change the scope to a Leupold Vari X 3 4.5 X to 14 X , but NEVER change the load. Completely happy with this.

Attachments

• IMG_3489 Ultralight with new Bog Death Grip Pic 1.JPG
    IMG_3489 Ultralight with new Bog Death Grip Pic 1.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 83
I wanted to remage in 6.8 western...found out quickly that very few barrel makers are offering a fast twist .277 barrel...standard is 1-10 and only a few offer a 1-8...guess everyone will start producing fast twists if the 6.8 western catches on...time will tell...
I have an order in for a Bartlein 24" 1:7.75 SS Carbon #4 Sporter 5R for my 270 WSM. These barrels shoot tight. Going with their new harder stainless that's getting 75% - 100% improved barrel life...

Last edited:

Recent Posts