Standard 270 win

My .270win in a SIG 970SHR is my most accurate rifle. I like "heavy for caliber" loads. My 150gr Nosler partition and/or ABLR over 51.2gr of IMR4350 gives me 2900fps. My longest shot was 605yds on a bean field, according to my rangefinder. I couldn't get enough elevation clicks out of my scope, I was six clicks short, so a bit of hold over was necessary. Anchored the deer where it stood, pass through. I've since put a 20moa rail on the rifle and will no longer have that holdover problem, Although I don't like taking shots on game that far out. It was just too big a deer to pass up.

I have no experience with the semi autos. I did see two model 7600 pump actions both in .308 get kind of loose over MANY years of use. They continued to work fine with factory ammo, but started to show extraction difficulties with some hotter handloads.

My .270win in a SIG 970SHR is my most accurate rifle. I like "heavy for caliber" loads. My 150gr Nosler partition and/or ABLR over 51.2gr of IMR4350 gives me 2900fps. My longest shot was 605yds on a bean field, according to my rangefinder. I couldn't get enough elevation clicks out of my scope, I was six clicks short, so a bit of hold over was necessary. Anchored the deer where it stood, pass through. I've since put a 20moa rail on the rifle and will no longer have that holdover problem, Although I don't like taking shots on game that far out. It was just too big a deer to pass up.
My two are on the right, the rightmost is the 605 yarder.

1623166963627.png

As I get older, 76 now, I find that I have become less enchanted with the magnums I own; 338, 300, 7mm and 264. After shoulder repairs, which I do NOT want to have again, the 270 is about right. I have several, but my favorite I picked up in a yard sale, a 03 redone by Petersen and Son, probably in the 50s. Beautiful blue, rebarreled, with a walnut stock with feather grain in the butt. Shoots as well as it looks. I really lucked out on her.

I still have my first dee rifle, got it for my birthday at 16 years old...42 years ago. Once I took up reloading, i use a 130 TTSX at 3000 fps for great accuracy from that old girl. 3/4 inch, not bad for an Ruger 77 tang safety red pad. Minimal recoil and a great deer/pig killer, and hardly any recoil. I've had a few new hunters start off with this rifle and I will NEVER get rid of her.

As Jack O so aptly postulated and proved the 270 win will kill just about anything on planet earth. It is ideal for deer, antelope, sheep, and elk out to about 650 yards. Bullet selection and weight are critical to the application. 130 gr. for deer and antelope. 140 gr. for sheep, mule deer and caribou. 150/156+ for elk, moose and bears. I like Nosler ABLRs and swift A-frames for long range and bears, but my go to for mountain hunts and deer is either a 130 gr. Nosler Bal. Tip or a 130 gr. Berger classic hunter. I can't remember the powder charge but I use either RL15 or W760. I own two light weight hunting rigs, a tikka and a Sako, both in 270. They are the work horses in the stable for both me and my boys, have been for more than thirty years. The 270 is the ballistic twin to the 280 AI, and superior to the 308, 6.5 Creedmoor, 260, 7mm-08, and the 6.5x55(which is its European equivalent). With the new bullets available and a fast twist barrel one could make a good argument it is as good or better than the 6.5 PRC or 6.8 western. Cartridge selection is really a matter of personal preference and the 270 would be my go to do anything cartridge with the exception of the big tooth critters or those with big horns and a hole lot of bad attitude, aside from that it is nearly ideal for everything from ground hogs to elk.

Been hunting with 270 off and on since the 70s. I admit I've made a few bad shots but the vast majority have been bang flop or 30 yards and fall over. Today main combo is a Remington 700 Mountain 270 pushing Nosler partitions behind 59 grains of H4831Sc. Hope that helps.
Iv actually got 130 grain partitions loaded up to try now and I have 140 grain nosler ballistic tips as well and getting ready to put a order in for some 133 shock hammers as well