Standard 270 win

SamuelBerryhill308

Hello all here lately with the new 6.8 western coming out and all the new .277 cal bullets out (if you can find them) I was wondering who all still uses the old standard 270 win? I have one that I'm starting load work with that was left to me by my late grandfather and I will be hopefully using it this deer season some it is a remington 7400 woodsmaster that he bought new in the 80s and it was my first hunting rifle.anyways just wondering who all still uses this caliber and what are some pet loads you may have and would 400 yards and in be good range for this I know one of my farthest kills on a deer was right at 350 with this very rifle.the only reason I quit using a 270 win was not big exit holes and no blood trail if needed with the ammo we use to use.has any one else had this problem in the 270 and if so how did you over come it that is my main worry with using a 270 again and for the past 8 years I've only used 308 or 30-06 and 35 rem.also how does the 270 stack up against the newer main stream calibers that are out today.ive have actually been looking to purchase a bolt action in 270 win or 270 wsm just to mess around with some and can you really have to many guns haha.i would like to here some good insite in this old caliber though and maybe re light the old fire I once had for the 270 win thanks and God bless

To answer your question....YES!!! Just put a 130gr pill in it and it's a lightning bolt on deer. In my opinion, it is the perfect deer cartridge. I've seen more bang flops with the 270 than any other rifle that I have personally shot or witnessed. Something about that .277 that just anchors them. Exit holes are dependent on the bullet used, but I haven't seen one stay inside the body cavity yet. I don't share load info, but the SST is one of my favorite bullets in it.

I do. Remington 700 was BDL now has Hogue over mold stock, quick clip conversion, long before Remington DM, 130-140 gr Sierra, Nosler or Hornady, looked for powders that used up to 90% capacity. IMR 4064 can was never to far away, was not choosey. I had action worked on, just me, 3.5 lb crisp trigger, it would out shoot me any day. Leupold VXlll 2.5X8 Duplex recital.

Thanks for your input.back when me,my dad and grandfather all uses 270s we used either remington corloc 130s 0r 150s and winchester 150 grain power shocks my grandfather for the last few years he was with us he used hornady superformance 130 sst.this was all before I started handloading and I do thank now the bullets and being factory ammo had alot to do with why we were having the bad luck we were with the 270 when my grandfather switched to the 130 sst he did say that was the best bullet he ever used out of his old savage and he had been hunting with it since the 70s

Thanks for your input.back when me,my dad and grandfather all uses 270s we used either remington corloc 130s 0r 150s and winchester 150 grain power shocks my grandfather for the last few years he was with us he used hornady superformance 130 sst.this was all before I started handloading and I do thank now the bullets and being factory ammo had alot to do with why we were having the bad luck we were with the 270 when my grandfather switched to the 130 sst he did say that was the best bullet he ever used out of his old savage and he had been hunting with it since the 70s
Pretty much anything 130gr will do the job, I just liked the SST. Got my longest coyote with it at 471yrds. Yotes, pigs, deer, doesn't matter....they just fall down!

I'm running 133gr shock hammers in my Tikka t3 270 win over 60gr of imr 7828-ssc. Highly effective on everything I hit it with and no lack of penetration!

Hammers are generally in-stock. Use nosler load data for hammers except for absolute hammers. Those require a different approach and there is a thread devoted to proper loading and recipes for the absolute hammers.

I use an old Remington Model 721 in .270 Winchester. It has harvested mule deer, whitetails and pronghorn with one shot kills. Longest shot only about 400 yards. I have used the same recipe for over 30 years. IMR 4350 and 150 grain Hornady interlocks. Interlocks have worked good on deer sized game.

I use an old Remington Model 721 in .270 Winchester. It has harvested mule deer, whitetails and pronghorn with one shot kills. Longest shot only about 400 yards. I have used the same recipe for over 30 years. IMR 4350 and 150 grain Hornady interlocks. Interlocks have worked good on deer sized game.
Used the same model for years until I shot the barrel out. I now have a Proof barrel I am thinking of putting on it. I love the 270 WIN and can't wait to get the rifle finished again. I found out the Rem 721 has the same threads as a 700 so you can swap the barrels with a RemAge setup. As for me I have killed a ton of deer and pigs with 130 grain bullets out of my 270.

I wanted to remage in 6.8 western...found out quickly that very few barrel makers are offering a fast twist .277 barrel...standard is 1-10 and only a few offer a 1-8...guess everyone will start producing fast twists if the 6.8 western catches on...time will tell...

I wanted to remage in 6.8 western...found out quickly that very few barrel makers are offering a fast twist .277 barrel...standard is 1-10 and only a few offer a 1-8...guess everyone will start producing fast twists if the 6.8 western catches on...time will tell...

Xcaliber and preferred barrels offer 1-8 or faster. Last month I ordered a 1-7 twist from crown ridge (he uses xcaliber) so I can spin the new 139 gr absolute hammers out of it.

Hello all here lately with the new 6.8 western coming out and all the new .277 cal bullets out (if you can find them) I was wondering who all still uses the old standard 270 win? I have one that I'm starting load work with that was left to me by my late grandfather and I will be hopefully using it this deer season some it is a remington 7400 woodsmaster that he bought new in the 80s and it was my first hunting rifle.anyways just wondering who all still uses this caliber and what are some pet loads you may have and would 400 yards and in be good range for this I know one of my farthest kills on a deer was right at 350 with this very rifle.the only reason I quit using a 270 win was not big exit holes and no blood trail if needed with the ammo we use to use.has any one else had this problem in the 270 and if so how did you over come it that is my main worry with using a 270 again and for the past 8 years I've only used 308 or 30-06 and 35 rem.also how does the 270 stack up against the newer main stream calibers that are out today.ive have actually been looking to purchase a bolt action in 270 win or 270 wsm just to mess around with some and can you really have to many guns haha.i would like to here some good insite in this old caliber though and maybe re light the old fire I once had for the 270 win thanks and God bless
Love the .270 Win.
Shoot 300 yds regularly & 607 recently with it. Don't know about exit wounds but it's a fine shooter.
A landowner hung a 2" gong at 267 yds thinking that no one would ever hit it. I grinned at him then popped it on the first try. I then handed him my rifle & he hit it on his second try...made his day.

I have played with .270 Win rifles (Savage, Remington bolt & Mod 7400, BAR, Kimbers,) ever since I moved out here to Utah,back in 1990, but never seem to kill Big Game, just a wounded Spanish goat and a jackrabbit, ha. I am on ".270 Number 13" right now ( actually #13 was a Lemon, Kimber Hunter, so I went back to #12, a Kimber 84L Classic) love the round, so decided to "settle on" it and a 300WM for everything in my latter years ( I'm 68 and bolted together, but still get around, ha) In my shooting experiments, I find the .270 runs right with the smaller Magnums with less fuss and recoil. For me it seems it beats the 6mms/25 cals (except the 257 Wby, which is a great one too!) in the Wind with the right bullet, of course. Many friends and hunters out here still kill elk like crazy with it, usually with 130-150gr factory ammo.

Hey ! The 270 Winchester is a great caliber . It was the one I used for years . Took a lot of mule deer and several bull elk with it . My kids shoot it now and it still gets the job done . My grandson wants to use it on his first big game hunt this fall . Give it try you won't be disappointed. Just keep the yardage reasonable and shot placement critical. Good luck and happy hunting