Stainless steel vs carbon steel barrels winchester mod 70 feather

Sneuses

I am thinking of purchasing a winchester model 70 featherweight SS 300 wsm. I am interested in people's opinion of the weapon if they own one. The longevity of SS over carbon steel if there is. What the additional stress if any is generated by the wsm cartridge. Does round have decent range or should I just consider the win mag.

Tanx
Steve

I am thinking of purchasing a winchester model 70 featherweight SS 300 wsm. I am interested in people's opinion of the weapon if they own one. The longevity of SS over carbon steel if there is. What the additional stress if any is generated by the wsm cartridge. Does round have decent range or should I just consider the win mag.

Tanx
Steve

The WSMs are all high pressure cartridges (64,000 to 65,000 psi) as apposed to the older cartridges that were 55,000 psi average .

Rifles that were designed for the WSMs are all modern designs and modern steels so there is no problem with ether the stainless or the chrome molly.

Stainless appears to be a little tougher and has better barrel life, besides being easy to maintain.

There is no accuracy advantage is the barrels are of the same quality.

J E CUSTOM

Whats the WSM offer you that the WM doesnt fulfill????

Nothing in performance, but in some cases a short, compact rifle is very handy and with the chamber being .520 shorter you end up with effectively over 1/2'' more bore length in the same barrel length.

So with the shorter action, the overall length of the rifle will be less and the rifle bore will be longer.

J E CUSTOM

Please explain why you have a problem with the wsm cartridge. This weapons specific intent is a elk hunt where the elevations start at 6200 and go up from there weight is a big concern. My secondary weapon is a browning medallion 30-06 outfitted with a Nikon monarch 4x16x42 scope. My point is depending on cover and terrain that will dictate the weapon used on any given day.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.