Stained Bullet Tips

bill123

I have a new 500ct box of Berger 155.5 Fullbores. The majority of the tips have a gray/black stain on them. Any idea what this is? Does it indicates a defect in the bullet?

Its not a defect, its actually quite common. It's from the wash/polish cycle, If they are not 100% dry the tips may discolor, nothing to be concerned about.

Its not a defect, its actually quite common. It's from the wash/polish cycle, If they are not 100% dry the tips may discolor, nothing to be concerned about.

Thanks, but I was hoping you were going to tell me that the crummy groups I just shot were totally due to the stain.

Reply from Berger:

Yes, I am familiar with the staining you are referring to. In fact it is something that is particularly frustrating for us. Being a manufacturer in California requires that we follow some extremely limiting regulations on use of chemicals, washing procedures and water processing. I won't bore you with the details but the stains you see are the unavoidable small fraction of bullets that make it through our wash process with these stains.

What we do know about them is that they have neither height nor depth and that they do not affect the performance of the bullet in any way. Having said that, our priority is your complete satisfaction. If you want to return these bullets for another lot we will gladly do so. I cannot guarantee that the next bullets you get or any others down the road will be free from these stains. We are working to determine the root cause of this anomalous result but to date we have not discovered it. Let me know how you want to proceed and we will resolve this situation to your satisfaction.

Kind Regards,
Ryan Robertson

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.