Stable Seated Shooting Position?

Turkeytider

Wondering what others may have found to be a reasonably stable seated shooting position. I`ve tried all the " standards ", to include White Feather`s sniper cradle position. I get a lot of cross hair movement no matter what I try. Don`t get me wrong, I don`t expect bench rest support stability but I just feel I should be able to be more stable. Any ideas and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Wondering what others may have found to be a reasonably stable seated shooting position. I`ve tried all the " standards ", to include White Feather`s sniper cradle position. I get a lot of cross hair movement no matter what I try. Don`t get me wrong, I don`t expect bench rest support stability but I just feel I should be able to be more stable. Any ideas and tips would be greatly appreciated.
Yes, lots of tips. You should get the book by Marcus Blanchard he goes over all sorts of shooting positions. Here's the biggest tip of them all, not knowing your situation and Yoga status....

Build up major support with what you can. Fill in all the gaps with a backpack, jacket, you want every part of your body supported and using the least amount of muscles. The more you have to use your muscles the harder it will be.

Get a good Tripod and sitting is easy... Put your bag in your lap and have the rifle resting on it, you may need a big bag. I have some pics from some training where we were using anything we had to build a stable shooting position, standing to sitting. Hope that helps. PM so I can send you pics of what I mean

Yes, lots of tips. You should get the book by Marcus Blanchard he goes over all sorts of shooting positions. Here's the biggest tip of them all, not knowing your situation and Yoga status....

Build up major support with what you can. Fill in all the gaps with a backpack, jacket, you want every part of your body supported and using the least amount of muscles. The more you have to use your muscles the harder it will be.

Get a good Tripod and sitting is easy... Put your bag in your lap and have the rifle resting on it, you may need a big bag. I have some pics from some training where we were using anything we had to build a stable shooting position, standing to sitting. Hope that helps. PM so I can send you pics of what I mean
I think there would be lots of us that would like to see your setup, I know I would like to 😊

Are you planning to use crossed shooting sticks or some other artificial rests?

Having spent so many years in comp shooting using the more typically taught sitting positions, I decided on a modified position with legs angled in front, torso leaned forward with my left arm over the knee with back of the arm supported more by my upper shin (never elbow on top of knee) and right arm/elbow supported by my right thigh. Sling in the typical left arm triangle position for added support. Some people loved the crossed leg positions, but those were not overly stable for me.

Depending on how flexible you are, this may not work for you, for most people have differing body types and abilities. Thus, I recommend you find one that works better for you and develop it. A good, solid position takes work and time with some muscle development.

In the mountains I carried a snipepod for sitting and would get my back against a tree if I could.I shot elk at quite some distance like this.As others said backpack in lap, etc test out what works for you.In rifle club we shot with shooting sling

Ok here's some pics to give you a good idea of what I mean

Attachments

• IMG_3426.JPG
    IMG_3426.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3415.JPG
    IMG_3415.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
  • IMG_3412.JPG
    IMG_3412.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_3411.JPG
    IMG_3411.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3408.JPG
    IMG_3408.JPG
    932.4 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_3401.JPG
    IMG_3401.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_3400.JPG
    IMG_3400.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 68
  • IMG_3399.JPG
    IMG_3399.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 73

Let me paint a picture. I`m walking down a road in low light. Up ahead, say 50-100 yards, I catch some eyeshine from hogs ( or other things ) in the road. I`m going to plop down into a sitting position to shoot. I don`t have a bunch of stuff like packs or tripods ( travelling light ). I might have a portable shooting chair slung across my shoulder but I`ll not have the time most probably to set it up, sit down in it, acquire a target and shoot.

Let me paint a picture. I`m walking down a road in low light. Up ahead, say 50-100 yards, I catch some eyeshine from hogs ( or other things ) in the road. I`m going to plop down into a sitting position to shoot. I don`t have a bunch of stuff like packs or tripods ( travelling light ). I might have a portable shooting chair slung across my shoulder but I`ll not have the time most probably to set it up, sit down in it, acquire a target and shoot.
perfect picture to paint... real world situations are scenarios you should practice and get comfortable... So shoot it off hand! it's 50 to 100 yards! if you are taking the time to get seated or prone, you have time to set yourself up for the most success. Don't like what I have to share don't use it! would I be running and gunning with my DT, nope! I prefer the balance of an AR or longer rifle. If I am going compact and covert, then DT all the way.

50 yards is a chip shot! 4 days a go we were running after a bear we spotted that made the mistake of crossing the road. we bailed out and ran! after 200 yards we came to a knoll, I grabbed my tripod for my brother, no time to set up, bear comes out of the bushes and bam it's dropped at 158 yards walking... we had all the gear, but no time. there is no set rules in a gun fight or hunting, there is only winning so do what it takes!

I would suggest for those ranges doing some training for quick, off hand standing or snap shooting. Maybe a sling for support, or just the naked rifle. Using a 22LR or dry firing your weapon of choice. Personally, if I wasn't comfortable shooting off hand, I may simply drop to a quick kneeling position.

Evolution bipod on the front and trigger sticks on the butt. My son shot his Aoudad in February with this set up at 260 yds.

I usually wrap my arm in the sling & put my elbow into my chest/ribs. Hold my breath. And let her fly. Work pretty good for me so far.