Stable 6.5 powder

RockyRandy

Anyone have experience with Staball 6.5 Powder? I have a new Wolf precision 6.5 creed that should be showing up anytime and want to be ready to work up load data for it. I was able to grab some H4350 a couple weeks ago but now it is out of stock. This week i have been shooting a lot with my 6.5 prc using H4831and I was surprised on how much powder i burned through at 53 gr.

Thanks for the info, I'll check it out. You just never know how long it will be until you can get what your use to using. I ordered 8 lbs. hope i didn't buy a dud.

I'm getting 3550 fps in a 243AI with a 80 gr hammer hunter. Half MOA to 300. At 500, I think the es will start being a problem with vertical stringing

Anyone have experience with Staball 6.5 Powder? I have a new Wolf precision 6.5 creed that should be showing up anytime and want to be ready to work up load data for it. I was able to grab some H4350 a couple weeks ago but now it is out of stock. This week i have been shooting a lot with my 6.5 prc using H4831and I was surprised on how much powder i burned through at 53 gr.

As with anything else, it depends what load (YMMV) your rifle actually likes and shoots accurately.

Staball is a great powder In my experience I use it in my 6 and 6.5 creedmoor it shoots as good as the alliant powder and it's more available. It's temp stable as well. If you have a chrono shoot it and see if it's what you like. Works well for me.

Using it in a 300 wsm with 200 grain ELD-x, not the greatest velocity (2850) but ES is about 12 and gun shoots 1/3 MOA if I do my part.

I have found Winchester primers to be the most accurate with it compared to federal, federal match, and CCI.

friend uses it for his 6.5 creed and was also getting less than book velocity but exceptional accuracy.

Staball is a great powder In my experience I use it in my 6 and 6.5 creedmoor it shoots as good as the alliant powder and it's more available. It's temp stable as well. If you have a chrono shoot it and see if it's what you like. Works well for me.
What bullets have you used the 6.5 with in your 6.5 creedmoor? Thinking of giving it a go with some 120 tsx bullets.

I have 2 lbs. of Staball 6.5 and plan to use it with .22-.250 75 ELDM loads to conserve my supplies of H4350 & RL16. I probably would not consider using Staball 6.5 if I had enough H4350 & RL16. I expect to get 360-380, .22-.250 loads from the 2 lbs. of Staball 6.5, provided load development is speedy.

Fine shooting H414/W760 loads at 60 degrees have not worked out well at 95*. Possibly, there are military applications for Staball 6.5 for jungle or desert fighting with hot fully auto weapons.

The various components listed in the MSDS info are similar to other Hodgdon ball powders. Staball 6.5 might not be suitable for lighting off a grill because of the lingering presence of chemical components might corrupt the fine delicate taste of salmons & other stuff or cause health hazards.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.