Staball + CCI 200 + 300 WSM = success or hangfires?

SuperBruce

I want to try some staball in my 300 WSM but don't have any magnum primers to spare so I was hoping to solicit any anecdotes that folks have running standard primers (either CCI 200 or 210m's) with staball in a WSM sized cartridge. I've been launching 212 ELDX's with CCI 200's and H4831 and it's been flawless, great SD and groups even in the cold, but I don't know that it will translate to staball in a magnum sized case.

Thanks in advance.

I've never used standard primers in 300wsm and wouldn't advise it, just wait and find some magnum primer so you don't have to worry about it. What I have seen with staball so far, its great at full case with very good SD's but if loaded on low side SD's can vary greatly. I think in this caliber mag primers would be best with staball.

To the contrary of coop2564, i've never in my life used a magnum primer in a short mag.

6.5WSM, 300WSM, 7SAUM, 7.82 Patriot etc. I've always used a 210M & have never had a hang fire. I think that you will find SD & ES will fall with a 210 & believe it or not, you'll probably see a small jump in velocity.

That being said, i've never used StaBall (even though I have 8# sitting here). But I am running well over 60grns of N570 in my 6.5WSM, if a 210 can ignite that, I don't know why it wouldn't ignite StaBall.

Honestly, I wouldn't be afraid of it.

t

Thanks. I might give it a go. It seems many people don't hesitate to use use a standard primer in WSM cases with stick powder but the ball powder is the variable. If I give it a go I'll make sure to post it here.

What I have seen with staball so far, its great at full case with very good SD's but if loaded on low side SD's can vary greatly.
Staball does love a full case. I have also found that it tends to have a very low burn node as well, at least in 6 dasher. A friend of mine has found the same thing for 6 creed.

That being said, i've never used StaBall (even though I have 8# sitting here).
You should give it a go, it's pretty good stuff, at least in 6 dasher, 6.5 creed, and 30-06 (all I've tried it in). It is a touch sooty but gives great speed.

Last edited:
Using a magnum primer with ball powders is an old school common practice. The need will vary with the cartridge. I even occasionally use a magnum primer in 223 rem when running a ball powder. In the winter (cold temps) I think it's more critical.

I want to try some staball in my 300 WSM but don't have any magnum primers to spare so I was hoping to solicit any anecdotes that folks have running standard primers (either CCI 200 or 210m's) with staball in a WSM sized cartridge. I've been launching 212 ELDX's with CCI 200's and H4831 and it's been flawless, great SD and groups even in the cold, but I don't know that it will translate to staball in a magnum sized case.

Thanks in advance.

Be sure to post your results as the StaBall is being discussed more in the shortmags. Hodgdon shows it across the board in the last 2 loading manual updates. I plan on testing with it soon with the 200.2X Berger.
DFBF1B6E-3047-4723-8F81-4BCF7170BB6F.png

Last edited:

You should give it a go, it's pretty good stuff, at least in 6 dasher, 6.5 creed, and 30-06 (all I've tried it in). It is a touch sooty but gives great speed.

I actually bought it for my 6.5 Creed in the event that my H4350 supply dies out. Then I lucked into a good bit more H4350... Go figure lol

Come to think of it, I use a metric TON of Ramshot Powders; which are all ball powders.

6-284- 57.5grains of Magnum with a 210M, not a hiccup. Shot my Antelope last year in the ~20* temp area... Bang- Dead Antelope.

.243 Win- Ramshot Big Game (don't recall charge ~45-ish) all 210Ms... this rifle has seen hundreds & hundreds of rounds & it's an AR10... not a single problem.

The only cartridge I use a Mag Primer w/ball powder is my .338RUM running 101grains of LRT... Pretty sure a Mag primer is necessary 😅

If you want to run a Mag, get it. But 215M's have been crazy hard to find... for me anyway.

t

To the contrary of coop2564, i've never in my life used a magnum primer in a short mag.

6.5WSM, 300WSM, 7SAUM, 7.82 Patriot etc. I've always used a 210M & have never had a hang fire. I think that you will find SD & ES will fall with a 210 & believe it or not, you'll probably see a small jump in velocity.

That being said, i've never used StaBall (even though I have 8# sitting here). But I am running well over 60grns of N570 in my 6.5WSM, if a 210 can ignite that, I don't know why it wouldn't ignite StaBall.

Honestly, I wouldn't be afraid of it.
👍🏻 Right on the money .

I actually bought it for my 6.5 Creed in the event that my H4350 supply dies out. Then I lucked into a good bit more H4350... Go figure lol
Come to think of it, I use a metric TON of Ramshot Powders; which are all ball powders.

6-284- 57.5grains of Magnum with a 210M, not a hiccup. Shot my Antelope last year in the ~20* temp area... Bang- Dead Antelope.

.243 Win- Ramshot Big Game (don't recall charge ~45-ish) all 210Ms... this rifle has seen hundreds & hundreds of rounds & it's an AR10... not a single problem.

The only cartridge I use a Mag Primer w/ball powder is my .338RUM running 101grains of LRT... Pretty sure a Mag primer is necessary 😅

If you want to run a Mag, get it. But 215M's have been crazy hard to find... for me anyway.
Thank for info. I grabbed some magnum and Big game in Powell couple weeks ago. Have ever used Ramshot powders but got as a back up. I have lots of H4350, Varget, H4831 and SC, etc. Here. Even Retumbo . Haven't seen H1000 in a while and not much RL powders. Can't find RL23 for year and a half. RL26 either but I have enough of. Saw RL25 but didn't want. Have lots of 6.5 Staball and see it often. Haven't tried yet. I have 6.5 x 284, 6.5 PRC , 6.5 Creed and 243 with lots of different powders to try. Just need more time !

I lucked into 2lbs of H1000 recently, hadn't seen any in well over a year. That'll get me a couple hundred more rounds loaded for the 7SAUM, IF I can find any more Berger 180 HVLDs.... It's always something.

I think you'll like Ramshot Magnum, it's treated me very well.

t

I lucked into 2lbs of H1000 recently, hadn't seen any in well over a year. That'll get me a couple hundred more rounds loaded for the 7SAUM, IF I can find any more Berger 180 HVLDs.... It's always something.

I think you'll like Ramshot Magnum, it's treated me very well.

t
There were some Berger 180 HVLD's at Cody Guns and Ammo last time I was there about 2 weeks ago. I can check for you. I'm amazed that 6 boxes of Berger 30 cal. 210 VLD's still sitting there for months. I bought one for the heck of it and I don't use. No 215's though. I also saw 7mm 168 HVLD. That's what I use in my 7 mag. But didn't need.
I found a pound of Magnum there couple weeks ago. Have got Retumbo there also. Has quite a bit of powder and gets often.

So I tried it. CCI 200's, 178 ELDM's, Staball, Norma brass. No surprises. ES was meh but I only tried a couple charges since I didn't have data for that bullet + powder combo. Good thing too, I topped out at 3112 fps which is a little high for this weight class according to hodgdon.