Staball 6.5 in 270 WSM

Coldfinger

Got shooting 270wsm with badly fouled and pitted barrel. I tried Winchester Staball 6.5 no data on it but I see it's a slower burn rate than H&Imr 4350. I shot 57 grains behind a 130 grain Berger classic hunter on top of a Fed 215 match primer. Nice 1/2" group but very sooty cases all the way to the base. Any suggestions? It's the first time I've ever pulled a load out of my butt so to speak! I assume the soot is from not enough powder to properly seal chamber with the brass.

Very well could be. What's the FPS on that load? Should tell you enough, if it's running slow then this problem could be rectified by upping the charge.

interestingly enough someone started a thread about this same sooty problem in 30-06 with this staball powder. It may be an inherently dirty burner, we'll know soon enough if posts like this keep coming. Wouldn't that be stupid and ironic, the copper fouling eraser powder Causing excessive carbon fouling? Ball powder is more prone to this if it's running under max or less than a full case so it could just be that.

Very well could be. What's the FPS on that load? Should tell you enough, if it's running slow then this problem could be rectified by upping the charge.

interestingly enough someone started a thread about this same sooty problem in 30-06 with this staball powder. It may be an inherently dirty burner, we'll know soon enough if posts like this keep coming. Wouldn't that be stupid and ironic, the copper fouling eraser powder Causing excessive carbon fouling? Ball powder is more prone to this if it's running under max or less than a full case so it could just be that.
I like it in 6 @22 creedmoors it shot good in 22-250 as well no soot issues. I didn't crono it but case fill was only 75-80%.

I like it in 6 @22 creedmoors it shot good in 22-250 as well no soot issues. I didn't crono it but case fill was only 75-80%.
Interesting to say the least. I'm intrigued by this particular powder along with ram shot lrt if it becomes more available, but am inherently untrusting of ball powders due to some less than stellar experiences with win 760 and hodgdon superformance. Your results encourage me, but I would love some chrono numbers, from anyone, before taking the plunge. A load can shoot well at 100 yards and have crazy wide ES numbers which is what happened with the ball powders I've played with.

I'll get the crono out tomorrow. Case fill with h380 wasn't much better than 6.5. Soot as well but didn't extend past case shoulder. I've never seen soot with H380 and I've used it in 300 wsm

I think I've got the other thread with the soot from staball in my 06. It's only on the neck though. I get soot on the neck for all the powders I've shot, but the heaviest/dirtiest is staball.

My case fill, even at less than max charge is pretty good. What I noticed, is that h4350 burned clean in mine. Then RL16 was much dirtier, which I think is a double base powder. Staball has been even dirtier, also double base. It's even dirty a half grain below max. I need to try it with a Winchester primer or a magnum primer. I should probably also get a Chrono to check these things.

Staball is worthless. Move along

StaBall6.5 did not work well in my 270 Win Mod 70 utilizing 140 grain Nosler BTs and Fed GM210M primers. Groups were large (1.5" @ 100 yds) and the lowest ES was 90 fps utilizing Hodgdons reloading mid to max published data (other than bullet). There was more loose fouling in the barrel than other ball powders, but I'd rather have loose fouling in the bore than baked on carbon fouling. Maybe Mag Primers would help in this issue, but the lower than published velocities, large group size and bad chrono results have steered me away from using this powder. Similar results in my 220 Swift utilizing 55 - 60 grain bullets.

I had good luck in my 6.5 Creedmoor so far Federal primers , Hornady cases , 147 grn ELDM , 43.3 grains

5 shot average 2760 ES 14 STD 5.49

Only slightly more carbon around the neck than factory Hornady but not what I would call excessive.

Got shooting 270wsm with badly fouled and pitted barrel. I tried Winchester Staball 6.5 no data on it but I see it's a slower burn rate than H&Imr 4350. I shot 57 grains behind a 130 grain Berger classic hunter on top of a Fed 215 match primer. Nice 1/2" group but very sooty cases all the way to the base. Any suggestions? It's the first time I've ever pulled a load out of my butt so to speak! I assume the soot is from not enough powder to properly seal chamber with the brass.
You might be underloaded. For mine, in comparison with h4350, staball has a higher starting and max load per hodgdons site. I see for the 270wsm and 130gr bullet, starting load for h4350 is 57gr. So, maybe you need to start with 58 or 59 on low end?

My only experience with a case as you described happened earlier this year. It was a 270 win using h4895 in a reduced recoil round with Nickle plated brass. The conclusion was the brass being harder didn't have enough pressure to expand the brass and seal around the chamber. I've since switched to brass cases. My guess is your having something similar in that that powder is not giving the pressure to swell that brass during firing. Best wishes

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.