SST Meat Missile

FlGunner

Shot this guy at 255 yds while heading in for my afternoon hunt. Remington Sendero 7mm mag with 162 SST. Been seeing tracks everywhere so I decided to do a lil slipping around. We got about 500 acres of clear-cuts on our place and fortunately I had a perfect wind to get on him without him winding me.

Attachments

• IMG_20180101_155840665.jpg
    IMG_20180101_155840665.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 332
I've never really hunted coyotes intentionally but I think I need to start. They're tracks all over the roads on our place and the deer and turkeys would definitely benefit from a few more being taken out.

Keep up the Good Work!!!!!!! Your deer & turkeys will thank you. Lots of folks don't know how how badly Coyotes affect game bird, & wildlife populations. Idaho-5R

Yup, I was driving down a 2 lane highway and an adult doe that looked exhausted ran in front of me being run down by two coyotes. Mule deer numbers in our area aren't so great and I suspect it's more predation than disease or winter kill.

You know here in Florida we have very liberal bag limits on deer, but we also have a ton of deer too. You can legally kill 2 bucks per day, everyday of the season as long as you don't have more than 4 in you possession at any time...... The numbers on our land (3,200 acres) is so high the state gives us 18 doe tags to use in general gun season. The buck to doe ratio is so it of wack in our State. I can only think of how many fawns are killed by coyotes every year... No telling how many were lil bucks. Not to mention how many lil turkeys they catch or nests that they bust. I plan on getting set up to hunt them year round and will be asking some of you guys on some pointers to get the right call and whatever else I might need. We have always killed coyotes when we've seen them but never hunted them intentionally.

It's nice to have four or five different rabbit calls...sometimes you have to vary it until something triggers the dog. A howler is good to have along with a squeaker.

But if you're that coyote rich it'll be better to walk around and hunt them before you call because you go in there and call 10 might run to you and then you just taught a bunch what calling is about. It's nice to get the numbers down then call and get the last few

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.