sst bullet

G

Looking for a good medium range (up to 600 yards) bullet for a 270 win. for whitetail deer. The sst sounds like a good choice. Anyone used this bullet? Does it work well?

I'm a little skeptical about using a 270win @ 600 yards for shooting whitetails. Sounds more like a job for a 300Wby or equivelent.
However, under ideal conditions and with perfect shot placement I guess it can be done.
The Hornady SST or Nosler B-Tip should both be capable of good longrange accuracy and dependable expansion at low velocity.
You may also get a few recommendations for the Sierra 135gr matchking bullet. High BC and very accurate.
wink.gif

Harv,

I would not expect the SST to be demonstrably different in expansion than the B-Tip's. Several field tests that I have read indicated that they performed nearly identical. Expansion depended more on animal, angle, velocity @ impact and so on.
The perfect bullet might just be the Swift 130gr Scirocco. The .284" Scirocco's shoot great in my 7STW.
VH

VH,
Thanks for the info. I will have to look into the Scirocco bullet. Would the interbond bullets be something to look at for my needs? How do the MK's perform on game?

With a 270 135 Gr Sierra MK at 3000 FPS muzzle velocity, you will have 1779 FPS and 949 Foot pounds of energy left at 700 yards.

Plenty to kill a white tail deer and a bunch left over. It don't take much to kill a white tail deer. Bullet placement is key.

When Longrange hunting began in the Pine Creek area of PA after WW2, the only rifles the fellows used were the 270 and 30/06 and they were making kills regularly at 700 and 800 yards. They didn't have a bullet as good as the 135 gr MK either.

Jusy some food for thought.

DC

I have used the nosler BT and found them just a bit to explosive. I have shot 1 deer at 550 yards and many over the 400 yard range. When the conditions are good and I do my job the 270 seams to work well at these distences. But, I don't think I would push it any farther. Thinking about building a 30 cal LR rifle when I get the time and money.

Used the 129 gr. SST on a bighorn, and cowelk last year with excellent performance at around 300 yds. from a 15" XP-100 @ 2900 f.p.s. m.v. Took a shot at a dirt bank at 1000 several weeks ago. Recovered the bullet, and it was mushroomed down to the cannelure--of course dirt is not flesh, so???

Thanks again guys! The listed bc for 135g MK is .488 and for 140g sst is .495. Is this difference worth looking at? Which one would be better for LR. (Couldn't find a bc for the 130g scirocco) Is a little more weight better?

Harv, I am a big SST fan and would recommend them for your application. You may find that the actual BC is a lot higher then print.

From my '06, the 165gr SST fly 16min flatter out to 1000yds then a BTSP interlock. Same gun, load, brass, everything. Muzz vel 2700fps. Run that thru a Ballistic program..bizarre.

The SST are a "tougher" bullet then the BT and equally as accurate. Have shot groups under 1/2MOA at long range (ie 3rds 1/2" group at 250yds).

Good stuff...

Jerry

The SST bullet is excellent on light big game. I have used it in a few guns of different cal. and have no regrets. If you have an good rifle and accurate handloads the 270 can reach further than most think. Practice lots and see how far you can go.

I went to the rifle range yesterday with my new 3-groove pac-nor barrel chambered in 300 weatherby with no freebore. My handloads were 77.5 grs. rl-22 with 180gr. sst bullets. I was very impressed with the accuracy. Three 3 shot groups at 400 meters all were under 2 inches,with the smallest being 1.25 inches. When the weather gets nicer i will try this load at longer distances.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.