SSG 260 carry rifle

blipelt, how is the receil on your rifle with it being supressed or breaked? Can you spot your own shots or does it recoil off the point of aim? Does it recoil like a 308 of similiar weight?

phorwath wish I could take all the credit, but a friend who is a benchrest shooter helped me dial it in perfect.

His philosophy of keeping it simple and the same really has paid off for him.

188mule my 284 Jazz I have gotten 3250fps with it. We stretched its legs out to 1900yds. Kirby has mentioned/tested his Allen mag was capable of 2500yds. Mine should be in the same neighborhood. Haven't really thought about shooting it much kind of really enjoying this 260 for right now.

captn academy I just got my suppressor documentation on monday afternoon. I had to work tuesday night so I haven't had a chance to get out with it. I have some work to do in the yard if it ever quits raining. I have off a week starting next friday. I should be able to do a little shooting then. The recoil is a little more than my 6X47 I had. I haven't shot much 308 so I can't really compare. Definately an enjoyable caliber to shoot with though. My YHM suppressor brings the weight up to 13.8lbs with a 32" barrel.
Brent

Mandan Sporting Goods has the FFL. They had this one in stock. Walked me through everything. Took three months for the NFA-ATF to do the background check. But my explosives possessors could have slowed things up.

Brent

I had looked at them at MandanSG also seemed like a tough suppresssor. I had been looking at some other ones like Shark or Thunder beast which are titanium but the price reflects that. Also they don't have the quick switch capability.
How's things going at the big mine? Glad winter is finally over, man that one was a bearcat. Now if the rain and wind would stop a guy could do some serious shooting.
I'd like to get my 7mm out a little farther did you say your getting 3250 with the 180's? I'm at 3065 @ 75 with the 168 which I think will get me out to 1600. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
With your current load throwing it in to exbal. You should be able to get there with the load you have

168 berger hunting vld at 3065fps altitude of 1776(Bismarck is around this elev. I guess I did retain something from all those years of being a grade foreman).

1700yds. 57.75moa up 1171fps vel. 511lbs. of energy. I used my sight in height of 1.95" above the bore.

Brent

I'll dial that in and see where I'm at. My sight height may have changed with the new scope. It was at or near 1.95. I would like to get out too 2000 I don't know why, it would be cool I guess.

Went out and shot my suppressor on my 260. Checked my ES. I got 2940, 2936, 2940, and 2936. You can't wish for anything closer. It didn't have much recoil to begin with, but I don't think there is any anymore. It sounded a little louder than a 22 rimfire. My POI shifted 4.25" down. I guess you would expect that when you hang that much weight at the end of the barrel. I checked and the barrel still had clearance. Sure makes it easy for calculating when I have the suppressor on. 4.25 extra up and you have it.

Brent

bilpelt, the first time I shot my .308 suppressed in competition, it really changed the handling characteristics of my rifle. It's outstanding shooting off a stable platform, but when I perform standing, kneeling or sitting shots, the rifle's balance is off, which is difficult to compensate for, at least for me. I thought that I could just go out and shoot a competition with out practice and everything would stay the same, it didn't. I still have not perfected it, just that added weight on the end on the barrel made a big difference in balancing the rifle. I need to get in a lot more practice, before I compete again.

I've also noticed some of the guys went from suppessor's to muzzle breaks. However, shooting next to these guys with their blasts can be tough at times, although, I may get a muzzle break in addition to using the suppressor, just to try it.

From all the research that I've done on suppressor's, and I am by no means an expert, your POI shift seems about the norm for a suppressed rifle. I use a Thunderbeast and a Surefire and I am right about where you're at, as far as shift is concerned with both brands.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.