SSG 2009 hunting season video 300Jazz

Hey Nate, great videos.

Congrats on the new edition!

308nate built me a custom rig on a Rem 700 action last year. The rifle in flawless.
I've broken in the barrel only about 150 rounds down range, haven't put it on paper past 100yds. The load I'm shooting now comes in at .415 for five. I think it will do better at 200 to 300 yds.

Nates been great to work with. I'm new to the LR shooting over 500yds. I had know idea what I was getting into, way more than just range and shoot. Nate has helped me out alot, Thanks Nate.

Earlier this week I connected on a Coyote at 907 yds. Last winter these two coyotes sat on the same hill every morning taunting me always well over 800 .
Also call shy. I kept thinking wait till next winter I'll have my rifle from SSG
then you won't be so smart. Yup, sit and stare just like last year. Not this time. I got a average range of 907yds, dialed in 20 moa. Luckily it was almost directly into the 8mph wind. The Berger 168VLD had enough energy left after passing thru the coyote it kicked up snow about two feet. He ran about 50 yds and expired.
Now, can I do it again? Awesome rifle Nate, Thanks man

188mule,

Thanks for the kind words. I love to hear stories like that. That is an amazing shot.

I would like to thank you for taking Liz and I on that antelope hunt in SD. It was an awesome and memorable time. Although our last 3 at 400 yds. was probably one of the most memorable parts of the hunt. I would have loved to have had it on film..it was raining and snowing, the ground was muddier than mud, the wind was blowing 25+
we spotted some antelope and made a sneak..they were shiftier than anything that morning. We would just about get a clear shot on a bunch and then they would be gone. Very cold and frustrated we decided to go over one more hill....as we were approaching the crest of the hill I spotted one, we got down low and planned our approach, we moved our position over and crawled to the top of the hill. There was 3' tall clover covering the hilltop and hillside, with about 10 goats bedded down about 400 yd. away. We got in position, but couldn't get a clear shot in the clover, the goats had no clue we were there, so I decided to take a chance and body roll a shooting lane in the clover, I was laying down and rolled down the hill about 20' and then rolled back up very slowly(the clover was wet so there was no crackling to be heard over the 25+MPH wind), got prone behind the gun and "188mule" got ready as well, he picked out a buck and got on it, we had three goats to down to finish filling our tags. We wanted to get done as the weather was miserable and getting worse.
We decided instead of synchronizing shots, "188mule" would shoot first and then, I would shoot if I had a clear shot. "188mule" shot and his buck never knew what hit it, it just laid over. I was watching a doe in my scope, upon the first shot the doe I was watching jumped to her feet and turned 180 degrees and paused for a second, just long enough for me to put the shot right behind it's front shoulder. It went about 20 feet and gave it up. within a second after I shot "188mule" sent round three into a doe which again expired immediately never taking a step. 2 seconds at most, 3 shots, 3 goats down, 400yd. and we were done after a weekend of hard hunting, although "188mule" maybe new to long range hunting, he is definitely not new to hunting with his many trophy kills, he has taught me plenty as well and I feel fortunate to have him as a friend and by the way welcome to the Long Range Hunting forum!!

All the best,
308nate

Hey Nate,

Joe here "188mule". What make and model of video camera do you use & what did you have to give for it? I've been out the last couple of mornings and had several chances at yotes where I could've had some decent video. I'm not sure my camera is up to the task, when I video deer I usually do it thru my spotter. Anyway this morning I found five coyotes feeding on a recently killed deer. The way they were fighting I'm sure they had taken it down sometime the night. By the time I got to a spot where I could see the deer kill the coyotes were gone, I sat for a while and one eventually showed up. I had time to set up a camera but don't have one capable of a decent zoom with out my spotting scope. Gonna have to remedy this problem soon. Shot was 867 yds, couldn't tell what the wind was doing from where I was so I centered on its chest and fired. He had his head down feeding on the carcass, the bullet drifted about 6" and hit him some where around his head or neck, saw the snow fly. He spun in a circle for quite awhile eventually tipping over.
Awesome!!
I did miss two that were over 700, stop, go,stop,go. I'd get a range then they would move. I took a shot after ranging a spot infront of them and waiting for them to cross that path, I whistled, they stopped. I fired and hit a little low, right between his paws. I did get one with my 7mm way out there, about 60 yards. It also works up close. Alot of coyotes out this way & alot of fun.

I was wondering how busy you are or when I could get my rifle in for a adustable cheek piece.

Take care

Joe "188mule"

Last edited:
Hey Nate,

Joe here "188mule". What make and model of video camera do you use & what did you have to give for it? I've been out the last couple of mornings and had several chances at yotes where I could've had some decent video. I'm not sure my camera is up to the task, when I video deer I usually do it thru my spotter. Anyway this morning I found five coyotes feeding on a recently killed deer. The way they were fighting I'm sure they had taken it down sometime the night. By the time I got to a spot where I could see the deer kill the coyotes were gone, I sat for a while and one eventually showed up. I had time to set up a camera but don't have one capable of a decent zoom with out my spotting scope. Gonna have to remedy this problem soon. Shot was 867 yds, couldn't tell what the wind was doing from where I was so I centered on its chest and fired. He had his head down feeding on the carcass, the bullet drifted about 6" and hit him some where around his head or neck, saw the snow fly. He spun in a circle for quite awhile eventually tipping over.
Awesome!!
I did miss two that were over 700, stop, go,stop,go. I'd get a range then they would move. I took a shot after ranging a spot infront of them and waiting for them to cross that path, I whistled, they stopped. I fired and hit a little low, right between his paws. I did get one with my 7mm way out there, about 60 yards. It also works up close. Alot of coyotes out this way & alot of fun.

I was wondering how busy you are or when I could get my rifle in for a adustable cheek piece.

Take care

Joe "188mule"

Joe,
I use a Sony handycam super steady shot HDR-SP? there may be another letter there as it has some wear there(it's taken alot of abuse) it has a 15x optical zoom and 40GB of internal memory it also takes memory sticks.

Totally awesome on another long range coyote kill. I ahven't even been out since deer season and it's not looking good for me getting out before spring.

on the cheek piece, those go on really quick so if you want to stop by some evening on your way home from work we could put it on.

Hey Nate,

Awesome!!

Take care

Joe "188mule"

Joe,
I use a Sony handycam super steady shot HDR-SP? there may be another letter there as it has some wear there(it's taken a lot of abuse) it has a 15x optical zoom and 40GB of internal memory it also takes memory sticks.

Totally awesome on another long range coyote kill. I haven't even been out since deer season and it's not looking good for me getting out before spring.

on the cheek piece, those go on really quick so if you want to stop by some evening on your way home from work we could put it on.

All the best. keep killin' those dogs waaay out there!

Nate

Joe "188mule" I worked with James at the other mine for many years. How come you haven't got James into it or have you? I didn't realize 188mule was you. Good luck doggin someone has to keep them in line since I haven't been.

Brent

Hey Brent, Who?

Did I work with you up at the big mine? James hasn't gotten into the long range yet. I've been shooting out to 500 for quite awhile but just recently decided I needed to get way out there. Yea, the coyotes have been hit hard this year by Nathans handy work. I doubled my coyote take in the last two months only because I have a awesome rifle, and have done some home work. As of last week I think I have 13 at 450 and farther.

188mule (Joe)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.