Ssg 04 300 wm?

Epee

Does anyone here have any experience with this particular rifle, the SSG 04 300 WM.

I have an opportunity, or maybe it's not an opportunity to purchase one.

I also have a choice between the SSG 04 and the A1, but I just can't see the price difference for the added picatinny rail system, unless there is a whole lot more that I'm not seeing. Information on the web which is not negative from what I can tell, is sketchy at best.

I did a search here, and there were a couple of mentions, but nothing specific.

Generally will be used to shoot for fun. I have a 1000 yard range close by, and hunting.

I do value opinons from the experts here on this forum, and the time you take with the "new guys."

Thanks!

The SSG 04 by Steyr Mannlicher is unfortunately discontinued, but it's an amazing rifle under all circumstances. About 4 years ago I had the opportunity to shoot an 04 in .300WM out to 600 m, and the gun was just a pleasure to shoot with. Accurate (good 5 shot - groups, ca. 70 mm) and made with the highest standards of craftsmanship. I would strongly recommend this rifle. You won't regret it.

Here the successors: www.steyr-mannlicher.com/en/products/sportingrifles/

Thanks for the reply and I went with your recommendation. The SSG 04 A1 300 WM is on the way. Now I need to figure out the appropriate scope and rings. It comes with a picatinny 20 moa rail attached.

That's the very best decision you could make. Believe me, the future will have a very satisfied customer of Steyr products in you. If I would have the cash right now I'd primarily purchase Steyr's SM12 SX (LH) stainless in 270W. An almost perfect choice for hunting with light equipment in mountainous terrain combined with bad weather as we (very) often have.

I went with Sphur mount and Khales 6-24. The scope I bought from LRH in MOA.

I went with Sphur mount and Khales 6-24. The scope I bought from LRH in MOA.

Well, then you finally have got an almost perfect and very precious combo! :) Håkan Spuhr's mounts for pic- rails are among the best money can buy, and the same goes for the Kahles scope. All this on Mannlicher's great SSG 04, congrats.

I have shot several Steyr SSG 69 PIIK rifles in .308 Win (7.62 NATO), but have never shot an SSG 04 in .300 WinMag.

The SSG .308's that I've shot were incredibly accurate...Along with all the other Steyr rifles that I've shot.

Thanks guys, appreciate your comments. Now I need to work on some factory loads, and then start building up "stuff" to reload my own. I use to reload back in the late 80's and early 90's, and then got into international smallbore, and sold everything to fund that addiction. Now I'm back building up my centerfire capability. Time and money, that's why we work. I just purchased a G7 for my LRF. Atlas bipod and then nice drag bag/case from Erblestock. Getting ready for mule deer season in the desert.

With the G7 I'm guessing I don't need top of the line wind meter, just an accurate one?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.