SS pins - a note of caution

I always inspect under a light that allows me to see the bottom of the case as I take them out of the media separator and onto the towel before going into the dehydrator. Even as careful as I am, about once in five washings I would miss a pin (usually two) jammed in a primer flash hole which I always have to pull out with needle nose pliers. The decaping pin in resizing die always caught them in the past…until I changed my process. I now resize after I anneal and before I wash. I switched to sunshine media which is stainless steel chips. They don't get stuck in the case or flash hole.

I always have the LabRadar running while shooting at our club. A shooter a few benches away asked if I would shoot his 300WBY to determine the velocity of his reloads. My equipment is set up for a left hand shooter so I shot the rifle rather then having him shoot it "over the screens" himself.

After the shot I ejected the shell which landed on the concrete slab. I noticed immediately that a few kernels of powder fell from the case. Looking closer I realized that they were actually two blackened SS pins! I asked if he was using a SS pin tumbler and he acknowledged that he was.

It made me wonder how many pins may have been in that load and what they could do to a barrel. Who even knows about the safety aspect of pins in a full pressure load?

Just a reminder to use due diligence when handloading because unexpected errors do happen.
We stopped using pins because they would get hung up inside the brass & ding the necks, Started using Brass Juice & it works just as well without the hassle.

It's a process. I rinse several times with hot water to remove soap etc and then Drop them in a towel and shake the p!ss out of them. I repeat this a few times and have no issues with pins. I think if you drop the cases on a towel etc and don't shake they can easily dry in place.

I sold my SS pin set up because, as has been stated, it is a pain to use.. I didn't see any need for them.. Walnut or corn cob media works for me and it is easier to use. Of course I have to be careful that it is all cleaned out of the case but it doesn't gouge the barrel.

Good old walnut (lizard litter with a teaspoon of red rough added). I was looking at converting to SS pins but I think I'll stick with the vibrating tumbler and ground media.

OP, Did the reading on the labradar seem suspicious?
AsI only ever neck size on my own brass, I stopped tumbling my 223 and 308 brass as it was a pita to get the bits of shell out. I clean up the outside with fine steel wool, don't bother with the neck or the primer pocket and it doesn't seem to affect the accuracy in my rugers #1and #3, in fact the 308 #1 has subsequently given me my best 3 shot group at 100 metres of around 1/2" which is plenty good for my kinda hunting, it's also repeatable if I do my bit. It's as accurate as the #3 right now.

I still use the Frankford SS wet tumbler. But I did switch from the stainless pins to the stainless chips.

I find that they do a better job of cleaning out both the inside of the case and the primer pockets.

Checking the inside of each case is a must for safety. Takes a bit longer, but results are great.

I always have the LabRadar running while shooting at our club. A shooter a few benches away asked if I would shoot his 300WBY to determine the velocity of his reloads. My equipment is set up for a left hand shooter so I shot the rifle rather then having him shoot it "over the screens" himself.

After the shot I ejected the shell which landed on the concrete slab. I noticed immediately that a few kernels of powder fell from the case. Looking closer I realized that they were actually two blackened SS pins! I asked if he was using a SS pin tumbler and he acknowledged that he was.

It made me wonder how many pins may have been in that load and what they could do to a barrel. Who even knows about the safety aspect of pins in a full pressure load?

Just a reminder to use due diligence when handloading because unexpected errors do happen.

I use a sonic cleaner. 1st bath, heated with old solution, primers removed. Rinse and use fresh solution. Rinse again with RO water.
For my pistol rounds, I am not as particular. But I only shoot 30 yards or less with those.

I just bought some stainless steel chips. 1lb, $22.00 shipped. I'll try most reloading doo-dads. If they work itll be another tool in the shed.

The stainless pins were a pain to separate when I did them by hand.

I purchased the STM Media Separator, and they're clean in seconds. SO much easier than before, and I have yet to have any pins left in any cases.
The only time I have to be careful is with 257 Weatherby cases, as the internal neck is about the same size as the pins, so they get stuck crossways in there. I have never had any left in my 300 Wby cases as in the original post, or any other cases.

Technique can make all the difference.