SS pins - a note of caution

I still use the pins when cases are real dirty, they clean the primer pockets out really well. After I rinse the cases several times, I put them in the rotary seperator and spin the heck out of them. That gets 90% of the water off of them and believe it or not, the pins go with the water. I have only ever noticed pins to stick in cases twice. I also inspect each and every case before it makes it to the loading tray and that is how i caught them. Weather you use corn cob, walnut or stainless steel pins, every case should be inspected inside and out before reloading.

I always have the LabRadar running while shooting at our club. A shooter a few benches away asked if I would shoot his 300WBY to determine the velocity of his reloads. My equipment is set up for a left hand shooter so I shot the rifle rather then having him shoot it "over the screens" himself.

After the shot I ejected the shell which landed on the concrete slab. I noticed immediately that a few kernels of powder fell from the case. Looking closer I realized that they were actually two blackened SS pins! I asked if he was using a SS pin tumbler and he acknowledged that he was.

It made me wonder how many pins may have been in that load and what they could do to a barrel. Who even knows about the safety aspect of pins in a full pressure load?

Just a reminder to use due diligence when handloading because unexpected errors do happen.
I have saw 3 separate cases of this happening...one case saw a pin stuck in action...

I own, and occasionally use, a SS pin tumbler. But mostly I do not see the need to clean cases. I use steel wool on the outside of the neck and a quick brushing of the inside of the neck. Pockets get cleaned with a uniforming tool. Rifle brass just doesn't get dirty.

I mostly use the tumbler for dirty pistol brass and 458 SOCOM brass which is usually filthy. I'll be visually inspecting them a bit closer in the future.
I mostly clean mine so that my resizing dies don't get scratched and ruined.